Troubles at bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

v0jnik

Solid State Member
Hello I've been having problems with my computer booting up since I bought my dvd burner.
The burner is a LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S and my motherboard is an Epox nforce 2 8rda+ with latest drivers and BIOS flash.
The problem seems to be when I would boot my computer up on a "cold boot", then It would just stall at the first screen when it says "DETECTING IDE DRIVES". I would then turn the computer off, then on again and it would work normally, untill the next "cold boot"
Can someone please help me?

have tou tried running the IDE drive auto detect function in BIOS.
It might help because then the comp. wil know what to expect on each boot.

Sometimes I have problems on boot (with windows[scumm]) but usually I can fix it by entering bios and just saving the settings(without having to change anything).

Also... does the comp. cold boot when the DVD drive is unplugged... cos that would mean a problem with the interfacing, or BIOS

Yeah ive tried nearly everything in the BIOS but it still screws up, but just today i replaced the DVD with my old cdrom drive and it worked when i did a "cold boot", so im thinking its the damn dvd drive. I unplugged all ide drives exept for my hdd and if everything works fine with a cold boot, i will have to replace the dvd, hopefully its still under warranty.
I will also try the drive in my friends computer to see if it really is the drive.

do check it in another comp.
If it works then I don't know what the problem is ...

Unless...
Not being patronising but, is the drive in the correct mode
(i.e. master or slave)?

This the only other reason that I can think of, appart from your mobo of BIOS being... well a bit buggrd

Yeah Ive tried it in both modes, master and slave and still nothing...
but yeah i will try it in my friends computer and hopefully it wont work so i can get it replaced under warranty.

I dont think its the BIOS because the computer passes the POST test even when the dvd screws up.

just because it passes the POST test doesn't necessarily mean that the IDE controler has correctly detected it. Just try running the "detect IDE" function in the BIOS... it might work, but them I would have thought that the drives are detected in the start up anyway.

Just another idea... try the drive (ON ITS OWN) using cable select mode... It might help.
If it works then, at least you will know if it is the drive that is not working.

If it doesn't work in yours, try using the cable select mode in the other comp.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom