Traveling with desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

soadfan09

Beta member
Hi,

I'm going to be traveling via airplane from Philadelphia, PA to Birmingham, AL (which is going to be a 2 hour flight nonstop) and I was wondering the safest way to transport it.

I'm flying on US Airways and they said I could bring it as a check-in bag. However I don't really trust the TSA with it as I don't want them to diffuse my comp thinking its a bomb.

I have shipped a computer before through UPS, but it arrived very dented with the video card dangling and the front of my case almost completely missing.

But if I did choose to ship it through UPS, FedEx or check it in at the airport etc. Should I remove my CPU heatsink (ZALMAN CNPS9700 110mm). And would my case( Antec 900 midtower) be sturdy enough to withstand a possible beating?

Thanks

I would remove the CPU cooler and the hard drives and either ship them separately, or put them in your carry-on.

Then, go down to UPS and tell them you have a fragile item to ship, and make sure you insure it. If anything is damaged upon your arrival, you can claim the insurance money and you're all set.

The Antec 900 is a pretty sturdy case, so as long as you have good packaging it should be alright.

I'd also suggest using FedEX.

try calling up the airport to see if you can get clearance to take it with you.

its horrible to be scared to ship your own things, i and understand why.
i shipped a pc from the east coast to the west coast (via ups) when i moved to california, and it did take a beating, one of my speakers were broken in half.
i dont recommend this to anyone lol.

taking it onboard with the plane would probably be the safest thing, but do be sure to remove the HS. and if you video card is bulky, remove that too and carry it in its original packaging.

but if the airport says "no" to you bringing it, then i would disassemble all the bulking things and ship them individually.

just my 2 cents.

Hi,

I'm going to be traveling via airplane from Philadelphia, PA to Birmingham, AL (which is going to be a 2 hour flight nonstop) and I was wondering the safest way to transport it.

I'm flying on US Airways and they said I could bring it as a check-in bag. However I don't really trust the TSA with it as I don't want them to diffuse my comp thinking its a bomb.

I have shipped a computer before through UPS, but it arrived very dented with the video card dangling and the front of my case almost completely missing.

But if I did choose to ship it through UPS, FedEx or check it in at the airport etc. Should I remove my CPU heatsink (ZALMAN CNPS9700 110mm). And would my case( Antec 900 midtower) be sturdy enough to withstand a possible beating?

Thanks

are you moving over there permamently, or are you just going there for a holiday/short term.

If it's the latter, just leave the computer at home or pick up a cheap netbook.

I would remove the CPU cooler and the hard drives and either ship them separately, or put them in your carry-on.

Then, go down to UPS and tell them you have a fragile item to ship, and make sure you insure it. If anything is damaged upon your arrival, you can claim the insurance money and you're all set.

The Antec 900 is a pretty sturdy case, so as long as you have good packaging it should be alright.

I'd also suggest using FedEX.

Make a back up of your data. Insurance will pay for a replacement hardware. Not for your data.

Personally i would be using a courier to ship the PC to the new location. Air Frieght would be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom