Transporting Computer Overseas Shipping: Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdawg

In Runtime
I'm being transferred back to the USA next week and I was wondering if anyone thought it would be safe to ship my computer over with my other belongings.

The only reason I ask is because I have a Tuniq Tower 120 attached to my motherboard and I would rather not have to un-install and re-install it later.

I shipped my computer from Oregon to the UK with DHL. They crushed my case, the heatsink got ripped off the motherboard and bounced around inside the case chipping bits of things off, my 7900GT somehow got knocked out of the slot as well.

So, I would have to say...no. You're better off selling it and buying new stuff in America...or parting it out and keeping just a few important bits.

Honestly, disassemble the major parts and wrap everything in dividualy, and in seperate boxs and place them all into one big box.... Nothing gets screwed then, also purchase shippers insurance with the items...

Yeah, ship it, insure it, make sure to indicate that it's fragile. If it gets damaged, then claim the insurance (the value that it was purchased for) and build yourself something nicer.

Since no one else has said it... Welcome back to the U.S. of A.

Pulling the most fragile parts (HS/F, GFX card) and boxing them up separately sounds like the best advice to me. Insure it as well, though. My rig was shipping from Phoenix to Tennessee and the box was completely destroyed. The case only ended up with a couple of dings, but several cables were knocked loose (CoolerMaster makes a tough case!). Oh, and that was courtesy of UPS (friggin' idiots...).

i shipped a computer from Toronto to BC once and the case was banged up pretty bad, everything else was fine (i took off the heatsink, gpu, sc, optical drives and hdd's and shipped them in a separate box and they were fine.

Like everyone else said...I would just take out important parts (CPU, GPU, etc...) when you ship. Sturdy parts can stay in.

I've had a really bad experience with shipping. I shipped the rig I made in Florida to Boston and on route, my Zalman heatsink wiggled out of place and the CPU somehow how got displaced, leaving me with bent pins (eventually fixed). It was packed with tons of styrofoam too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom