Transfering hard drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
OK my computer came with no windows xp disks or any drivers. Its all stored on my recovery drive or bios. by the way is it stored on my drive or Bios?(same drive). Its an hp. what if i want to get a new Primary drive like a 160Gb. I have no windows xp disks, no drivers. Would i just take the current drive out, put the new drive in and go to recovery and then it will load all the stuff on the new drive from the Bios chip, if it Is on bios. If all my recovery is on the Drive, then how would i ghost it over? THanks

-Adam

no, in case of just data, you can transfer it, but in case of Windows, u cannot

even u cannot run windows just by shifting the hard drive to other system, as while installation, windows install basic drivers and else on which system the windows is being installed,

may be shifting will work, but there is danger of system in-stability.

you could ghost your drive to the 160. Meaning it will make an exact duplicate of whatever is on your current drive. I know norton has a ghosting program. I don't know of any free ones though, should check download.com and search for ghost programs or something of the sort.

*edit* ok just realized you know what ghosting is.. so you're going to plug in both drives and when I used the norton program, i would always use a floppy to initiate the ghosting process and it'd just go from there.. it's really not that hard, just finding a free or a trial program to do it probably will be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom