Top of the line business computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said lots of applications

512mb is not fine for lots of apps

i have 1 gig and i feel like it's not enough when i'm running three system hogging programs

i suggest 2 gigs of DDR2, but 1 gig will be enough depending on what you do

2 gigs of DDR2 is really fast...if ur running dozens of apps (no typo) then ull be using it to its full potential. id stick with 1 gig of DDR2.

For a case, try this

You guys are trying to think like logical, sane people. This is a customer with 2G to spend.

Also get him some half decent graphics, 9800 pro's at 190-200$ CDN are becoming a steal, far more reliable than the cheap XFX 6600GT's up here and their name sounds better, more "pro". The 9800pro has a 60$ price gap between the 6600GT.

Go with a full gig of ram, if their's one thing he's going to notice, it's extra ram.

Also go with RAID 1 with 2 200 gig seagate drives, your customer will be VERY pleased with the reliability and speed of these drives, you can keep the OS on a seperate 40 IDE drive if wanted.

Also remeber, nice monitor, non intergrated sound (cheap card) nice keyboard and mouse

This gets you some extra $$$ and a happy customer :)

oooh

i didn't read the post carefully and thought this was a computer for him, not for his customer

heh

OK, you people should stop berating this guy, because it is not him that will be using the computer, but a customer...
Try and go newer technology... And ask him if we will go for AMD... It is better...

Yan

PS- Don't flame my SUGGESTIONS.

To be honest, the applications you described in your posts do not seem to be very intensive at all.. By any measure.. I have run pretty much all those apps on my PIII 650 without experiencing any lag - well the older "versions" of them I am sure. You can probably run it in any ol computer off the shelf IMO :)..

What's the database thing u mentioned anyways?.. MS Access or a "proper" database :)..?? .. If it's the latter, that will completely change ur system/requirements for sure.

But yeah. The Raid 1 someone mentioned is probably a must in an office setup. So is a good monitor. If no games, why don't u just go with the Intel Integrated graphics. Just a waste of money otherwise.

Yeah but you see, a 9800pro will look better, and you can even show off the PC with a benchmark.

Jesus a benchmark? Lol we have become much to nerdy for this. Listen dude save the customer some money. 1gig of good DDR2 memory can run 10 programs and you wont see a hit in performance.

3.2 CPU is all you need you wont see any bottlenecking with 3.2 and up and if your not goint to game with it what the hell is the point in buying a 6800GT? Maybe a 6600GT.

I suggest like others said to get lots of storage in Raid 1. And making the comp as cool but definatly as silent as very possible. Take it from me stay away from 775 if you dont need to its hot as hell and hard as hell to keep cool silently.

If this person is running a business and wants to spend 2k on a business computer than either they are Bill Gates or are about to be out of business soon because of spending their money dumb.

Trust me the comp i just said is plenty good enough for multi
tasking.

Invest some of the money that was going into a CPU or vid card into a nice 21 inch LCD monitor. For a business a nice looking monitor looks very profesional.

I would get:

Radeon X600 or X700 (PCI-E)

Athlon 64 3500+ Venice OR Pentium 4 3.2/3.4GHZ socket 775

Asus A8V or P5GD2 (depending on if he wants Athlon 64 or Pentium 4)

2GB PC4200 DDR2

definately Seagate hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom