Too much ram?? upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

we_B_jamin

Solid State Member
Ok so i have an MSI k7t266 pro2-U with via kt266A chipset.

Ill be honest, I don't really know much about computers though I like to think I do, so forgive me if some of my comments appear ignorant.

So here it goes, I'm going to be doing an upgrade soon, after I get back from a 2 month trip to thailand that commences in january, which brings up another point. Do you think I should buy my upgrade components in thailand, or is there a risk that it wont work, will break or get damaged in transit and i'll be stuck with a bunch of worthless parts? Back to the original problem, currently running AMD Duron 1.3, 512mb pc2700, generic mx440se (64mb DDR), standard bells and whistles like DVD player and HP 8200 series CD-r/rw drive that im really proud of because its like a 2x/4x speed and ive had it for 3 years now, oh ya. Infact there is no wn XP driver for it, but i get by somehow, some generic driver or something (the ignorant part).

So when I get back from my little adventure, im going to be upgrading to a new ata133 HD, AMD xp 2400+ cause thats the highest my mobo will support, and i was going to jack up the ram. Should I buy another 512mb pc2700 stick? OR should I buy two 1048mb sticks? Is that overkill, could it actually slow down my system? WIll be installing a pci tv tuner (most likely the ati tv wonder pro). Plan on capturing some video, mostly using it as a personal video recorder to catch my favorite shows when im not home. Will also be making a few DVD's with an external usb2.0 burner that im working on picking up right now. So ya, i thought lots of ram to capture vids and rip the DVD's, good idea, bad idea? HOW much is to much (?) thanks for you time.

hello we-b-jammin
your computer sounds pretty good as it is, i use 512 2700 ram myself, and i have no problems as yet. i used the mx 440 geforce for a while it's a good card, but had to upgrade for unreal 2 .
as for tv card i used a hauppage wintv 2000 analogue.decent card but i had to re-encode from raw video file. now i use a dbvt digital tv card with freeview 20 odd channels and 30+radio all digital, but the good thing is it re-encodes to mpeg 2 as it streams. now this is a big suggestion if you are serious about multimedia invest in a mobo with dual processor support..expensive yes, but while you rip you can surf play games and everything else..pentium xenon is the best dual processor, athlon make one called the athlon mp, but there is a mod for the xp processor . overall the more ram you have the faster the machine responds...your mobo only supports agpx4 so buying an xagp 8 would be a bad investment for a new graphic card.
anyways hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom