Too much junk in PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth

Baseband Member
Does anyone know a program I can get that deletes everything from my computer exept what was there when I first got it. And also has an option to keep a few things I want to keep?

Your PC should have came with a System Restore disk, which will do what you are talking about. It also may have a system restore partition, from which you can boot and restore all of the software that was pre-installed at the factory.

The following utilities will keep your system running nice and smooth..:

Window Washer 5.5

Spy Sweeper 3.0

Registry Mechanic 3.0

Check the Task Manager for any process that doesn't serve a purpose. If you are unsure about one of the processes running, you can find out what it is here.

Also check what is starting up with Windows. Under the "Run" command, type "msconfig.exe" (Windows XP only).

Don't forget to run a defrag once a month (or depending on how frequent the PC is used).

Good luck!...! And I hope this helps!

P.S.: What was mentioned above is the only alternative to reformating the HDD. However, reformating will be much more effective.

There is a program, but you would need to use it after the fact. Look at GoBack. I myself dont like it, but its kind of like XP's restore point except that it doesn't just do core/registry but also other programs. You can "undelete" certain things or goto a restore point from an earlier time, and not just o/s data, but any installed/removed program. It does take alot of HDD space, though. Its kind of like ghosting. It flags when a file has been added or removed. It also runs constantly in the background and becomes active after a certain period of being idle, so although performance will be impacted it tries to keep it at a minimum. Also look at Nortons ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom