are those transfer speeds normal? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default are those transfer speeds normal?

Moving stuff from one WD Caviar drive to another... started out with about 100mb/sec and after about 2 minutes it shows 3 mb/sec.

Seams a little slow... the 3mb/sec I mean? is it normal that he speed degenerates after a couple of minutes. Have to be honest, since I build my own I am way too concerned about things. never would've looked at this with my gateway...but now I am paranoid I guess.

Seams slow tho right? I am not crazy? went back up to 28mb/sec but thats still slow.

I already quick formated both drives. Seamed to make a little difference. I have a lot of room, so should I change the file allocation? to what?

Like always...Thank you very much.
One of those days I'll be just as good as the guys.
At least I hope so.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: are those transfer speeds normal?

Well technically speaking you are talking about bites, not bytes. So when SATA drives say 300mb/s, it is actually 300 mega bits, which equates to what, 30 megabytes / secound. So it sounds spot on IMO. I don't know what you have, IDE 100/133 or SATA 150/300 but don't think of those transfer numbers as mega bytes, they are bits.

-Vista SME
Old 11-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: are those transfer speeds normal? transfers twice?

Thanks. Yes technically speaking i guess.

The other day I noticed something strange:
I copied one directory to the other drive...and weird...but then a window pops up asking me if I want to overwrite the current folder. I know I don't have anything on that drive [it's empty]... Now I am wondering... what's that about? It transfers everything twice?

hard to explain... does that make sense tho? it would explain the slow speed. [slow for me...being used a little faster on my old computer] and what can I do about it.
Closed Thread