ThinkPad v. Dell - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2003, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Cool ThinkPad v. Dell

I oversee IT for about 100 people in a large consulting firm. To date we (honestly) have a bit of a rag tag fleet of laptops. Next year we're looking to standardize with either Dell or ThinkPads. Any initial thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i prefer the gateway machines.
My mom works for onstar and her laptop hasnt freezed yet or had any issues.
If you really have some money ot used, i would go with an allienware just because their screens are capable of high resolution and they are among the most powerful laptops money can buy

Old 11-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I work as a hardware tech for a fortune 500 company. We do support both types of laptops. All laptops have problems. I do agree that warranty is the most important thing in purchasing a laptop and IBM cannot be beat. Dell is just as good of a machine, but does not have the service that IBM does. I support over a 1000 think pads and about 400 dells. But again no laptop is perfect. There was a recall on several thousand IBM laptop drives and IBM made provisions to contact each individual and fix the problem. Also gave a free 10-20 gb hdd upgrade. The fix was transparent to the user, they reimaged and tranferred data. The bad thing about IBM (not sure on Dell) is that parts are so expensive once the machine is out of warranty. From a tech stand point i do prefer working on IBMs over Dell. The thinkpad seems to be more solid.

i am no lazier now than I was forty years ago, but that is because I reached the limit forty years ago. You can\'t go beyond possibility.
- Mark Twain
Closed Thread