Thinkpad 755CD windows install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that will work
I'm going to bed now, its 2AM where I am.
G'night & I'll check the forum tomorrow in case you have any problems.

Well, here's what I did...

Created a 98 boot disk (standard)
Booted from the floppy

but then the cd-rom doesn;t work

I am gonna try to copy the files from the cd to the harddrive and then boot from the floppy, cuz once they arew copied i dont need the cd-rom again.

Good idea about copying files from CD to drive.

I was really tired last night & realised later that the extra boot files / changes to config/autoexec etc for the keyboard & mouse problem, probably won't make any difference.

Keyboard must be working if you were able to type SETUP to launch CD. Mouse, I assume, is the laptop's built-in one. This may not work in windows initial setup but you don't need it. If you really feel you are stuck without a mouse, then you should be able to connect an external PS2 one to back of laptop.

Why in the world are all my floppies dying? I am using a Thinkpad 390e with XP to write the files. My dell XP desktop has no floppy and the other 98 box I have has a crap floppy drive? Why are the disks becoming unreadable in the 390e? They work OK in the 755 but then I can;t format them or anything on the 390.

????

Dunno mate, but probably one of 3 things :

1. your disks are dying, because lets face it, someone sneezing in the next room can cause a floppy disk to fail.

2. Your thinkpad 390 has a crap floppy drive

3. Microsoft have built some sort of floppy destroying activeX control into XP's SP2 just for a giggle

I'm off to pub (yipee) I'm afraid, so can't help much more til later, not that this post was particularly informative anyway

OK, I am back! I bought 40 more floppies. I have DOS 6.22 installed on the system and the driver for the external PCMCIA CD-ROM. When I boot it up, everything works great. I can read the CD's and everything no problem. However, when I try to run the setup, I am still getting to the first screen and then the mouse and keyboard freeze and nothing works. What the heck is going on???? I can use the keyboard to launch the setup file. Maybe the computer is freezing. I dunno. Something is wrong?
Any suggestions?

OK, Get this? I took out the 16 MB Ram upgrade in the mobo, booted it up with only 8 megs of ram but then I ran setup and I started working.

I will keep you posted.

Crap, 98 requires 16 megs....

Now what?
Install 95???

Christ, I didn't realise the thing was THAT archaic!

Yeh, 95 is your best bet in that case. Win98 even if it installs, will run like a arthritic slug even with the full 16MB of ram in.

I'm assume if you actually have DOS6.22 installed on the laptop, then the boot files will be dos6.22 & not win98 ones. If they are the DOS files, then there shouldn't be a problem with the 95 setup.

I seem to recall from many year ago, that installing 95 on a drive that booted up with 98 boot files, was a bit of bugger. If you do have this problem, I think you can get round it by doing something with the setver.exe command. Lets hope its not an issue in that case?!

Here is my current status... Windows 98 is installed (24 megs of ram). Only, I doesn't recognize my external CD-ROM cuz it wants to install its crappy 32-bit drivers which don;t work. And it doesn;t recognize half the crap in the machine. But it won;t even open a floppy without crashing.

Now it won;t even boot from a diskette either. So I am running 98 but with absolutely no point.

I think I am gonna format it again (I got all the setup files and drivers on disks) and try to install 95.

BTW, I had to install DOS, then 3.11, then from the GUI, I ran the setup.exe file on the Windows 98 SE Setup Disk and it took like 2 hours to complete installation. LOL

Well, now I think I know what I am doing, I am gonna go try to tame the beast.

486's rox0r

-Neo

Told you it would run like an arthritic slug, see I don't just make this crap up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom