They are here, well, kind of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, lots of expirenced people ask that question. Everyone here says that it's not that much of a difference. 128 mb (1/4 of 512, i believe) is sufficient for everything but the best games on highest quality. And it is; but normal games are just starting to brush up agaist the 128 mb limit; 256 will start becoming standard in a little while.

horndude said:
Its missing the second connector for the 2nd PC you have to connect it to in order to be able to actually feed it data fast enough to make use of it

HUH?

128 is enough

unless you run at high quality and huge screen size, there's no point in getting more than 256

I posted this earlier today somewhere else, both BFG and XFX are carrying 512MB Ultras now.

I don't see why you want to spend to ridiculous extra money for something that is virtually useless. VRAM is simply used for storing textures and the like and considering only one game requires that kind of VRAM, it's a silly investment.

Also, the actual GPU architechture (eg pipeline count, core and memory speed) have to be fast enough actually feed that size memory and make good use out of it. The 6800 Ultra may seem good now (which it is) but when games come out that actually start needing 512MB VRAM (won't be another year) the Ultra most likely won't be able to keep up with the graphics processes.

Take for example a house, you can buy a million square foot house, but without a half decent furnace it's not gonna all stay nice and warm inside.

Especially when you factor in the GV-70 and r520 which are due in about a month that boast supposedly double the performance of even this card.

Yea...well...Ive always wanted to get a huge projector and use it as my moniter; but the bulb usually only lasts 500 hrs and it's be really laggy. And the screen size would be dependant on the comp's screen size.

YanBooth said:

Well, as it stands right now, in order to be able to actually feed a card with that much memory fast enough to make use of 512mb of vid ram it would take 2 PC's and a super huge hi res monitor

check the benchmarks, right now 512mb is useless, its a marketing gimmick for those that think bigger is always better

I think Gaara's got the right idea. The bottleneck is the pipelines and core speed and stuff; they aren't fast enough to feed the vram

But my argument is that since my monitor is pretty huge, won't it be worth it?

Yan

PS- Will the G70 be another 6800 series, or a completely new series? Will those cards be using PCI-Express?

If the bottleneck's at the card, it won't help it. Plus you have an apple 30 inch? (i'm just guessing, what size moniter do you really have?). the 512 card isn't fast enough to put data on the vram to make it worth while.

I will be getting the 23", as the 30" needs a special Mac card (or does it still???)...

Yan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom