Thermal Paste Even Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterfreak88

Baseband Member
Today I upgraded from a Athlon II X2 to a Phenom X4 with a new heat sink and fan combo. As I was changing them out I was having trouble getting the thermal paste evenly spread across the CPU. Are there any tricks or tips you guys have to get it nice and even.

Usually the pressure of mounting the heatsink will spread it pretty evenly.

You can use a credit card or plastic wrap on your finger to spread it even. I have tried all different ways with no changes in temps with different application methods.

I just put a small rice grain dab in the middle of the cpu and let the heatsink do it

Used to credit card it but saw no difference in temps

After I got everything installed the processor is running at 2.5GHz and the idle temp is 34C Is this to high. I just ran the windows 7 Experience assesment and the CPU temp topped out at about 75C. Is this too high. I am just getting into computer building and my Athlon didn't get this hot. I might have too much thermal paste on it and the thermal paste i received was very thick and I don't think just pushing the heat sink down would have spread it out. Should I take it back apart and get some new thermal paste and try again?

Depending upon ambient (room) temp 34C is not bad for idle but 75C under load is.

what heatsink do you have?

a rice grain amount of paste is plenty. You only need a very thin layer of paste.

Remember, thermal paste is only used to fill in the gaps between the heatsink and the cpu. There's no such thing as a perfectly 'flat' heatsink bottom, it will have slight irregularities. That means it won't make full contact with the IHS on the CPU, which means less heat transfer.

Thermal paste fills/smooths the irregularities, ensuring the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink is more efficient. Too much, however, will only hamper efforts by insulating the CPU (which is the exact opposite of what you're trying to do).

As written "small rice grain dab in the middle of the cpu" a put heatsink on it.
I have verz good experiences with it.
An use ArcticSilver 5 or at least 3, it is really worth it and decreases CPU temp if used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom