thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
when you buy a new retail version of CPU i know it comes with sink and fan, but does it include thermal paste? or does that come with mobo? or am i gonna have to spit out $15 for a tube of Arctic Cold or w/e :confused:
also im ordering a complete new pc off of newegg, is there any other accessorie i might need besides thermal paste? case includes fans and fan controller, so besides that?
thx :p

Thermal paste does not come when you buy retail. When bought retail, the CPU comes with a thermal pad already attached, so you just have to pop the CPU in and put the heatsink on. The thermal pad usually works fine, but if you're planning on overclocking, you might want to do the paste. When using it, make sure to remove the thermal pad first with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. An example would be a cloth used to clean eye glasses. And yes, Arctic Silver 5 is what I would recommend when it comes to thermal paste. Be sure to follow the instructions on the back as closely as possible, and DO NOT over apply.

As far as buying more accessories, exactly what parts are you buying from newegg, and what do you already have?

also would anyone reccomend i get a new fan or heatsink besides the one that comes out of AMD 64 3500+ box?
what about memory heatspreaders or a new heatsink for video card? basically any additions at all i would need to a pc with specs:

(939)[90nm] AMD 64 3500+
ASUS "A8V Deluxe" VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset
eVGA AGP GeForce 6800gt
(2x512) corsair xms 3200

its gonna be a complete pc, dont have any parts yet, prolly gonna OC, where would i buy alchohol and cloth? off of newegg?

The alcohol is just standard rubbing alcohol, and the cloth can probably be bought in Wal Mart as well. They're not computer specific parts or anything like that.

You would probably need a new heatsink and fan if you are planning to overclock the CPU, however I don't know why you want to overclock it. The 3500 is already lightning as it is. And as for overclocking the video card, eVGA uses the same heatsink and fan on the 6800 GT and the 6800 Ultra, so you wouldn't need a new one.

I can't think of any more accessories offhand. Make sure you have enough IDE cables, depening on your type of hard drive, how many you, how many CD drives you have, etc.

ok, so only a new heatsink and fan for processor, im thinking a tornado, but i heard those things are like vacuum cleaners they're so loud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom