Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (
-   -   Are there hardware switches for monitors? (

darsunt 07-25-2008 08:59 PM

Are there hardware switches for monitors?
I am aware there are hardware switches that allow you to change a keyboard and mouse from one computer to another easily. But is there a similar hardware switch for a monitor, so you can switch a monitor from one computer to another?
I'm trying to share one computer monitor with two boxes, but I'd rather avoid the trouble and wear and tear of switching the monitor cable every time I want to use the other computer.

KSoD 07-25-2008 09:26 PM

Re: Are there hardware switches for monitors?

KVM Switch. - IOGEAR GCS62 2-Port PS/2 KVM switch with built-in cables - KVM Switches

That is what you need.


wafflehammer 07-25-2008 09:35 PM

Re: Are there hardware switches for monitors?
How To Connect Two Computers to One Monitor |

seems like that'll work. Good luck, I hope it does :) but anyway, by looking..i think those switch boxes are kind of this

Belkin Flip DVI-D - KVM / audio switch - 2 ports - (F1DG102D) - KVM at Colamco

The VGA ones do seem a lot cheaper, but most new cards use DVI. Personally I wouldn't spend $150ish for a switch box when I could get a decent 19" LCD screen for that much lol..

edit: **** ! Mak's way is a lot cheaper/easier lol.....

DoubleHelix 07-25-2008 10:36 PM

Re: Are there hardware switches for monitors?
Unpowered KVMs usually draw power from all three connections. I've not seen one that allows just monitor switching without being connected to the mouse and keyboard ports.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.