Thats just TOO low, HP! [a rant]

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaara said:
Compaq did, and possibly still do, secure their CPUs in the socket with an adhesive so you cannot replace it. Moral of the story is, prebuilt companies love to adjust things slightly to make sure people replace parts with stuff supplied from them. Clever way to make more money.
yea but I like Hp in a way because they also use AMD's.

The last compaq i worked on used an AMD chip, was made some time in 2000 and the HSF wasnt glued to the motherboard, it was just normal thermal shit that comes on heatsinks....

my friends compaq that he got from wal-mart has an AthlonXP 2400+ @2.0ghz. not to shabby and it also had 2 slots for DDR and a 4x AGP motherboard. plus its upgradeable. still dont liek pre-builts though.

Yea my friends was able to be upgraded with some kind of AGP card, never saw a AGP slot like that though, and it had 3 slots for older ram cant remember what its called. but the cpu was a duron 700mhz

I bought a hp fore some years ago. Befor i know any about computing.

stil using this hp. and learn everything i now on it.

So when i discoverd that it was amd athlon. and that the mobo used normal memory. (SDRAM)
I thougt i had tumbeled over a hp who was easy too upgrade.

I started with memory. replaced to two 512 mb. :) and it work.
pc speeded up good.

after a few months i kinda wanted more speed. so i was looking for either a new cpu or grafic.

Found out that the mobo cane only handel one size cpu. and that is the original size of 1.3 ghz.

So i started looking for a grafic card. Then i found out that the tiny psu already having power troubel. and can't handel even a slightly better grafic car :(

So then i start looking for a new psu. But then i discovered that the psu place in the case. That is spezial. so a std psu wil not ever fitt.

I also discovered why i had some cooling problems.
Cos ther i sone fan in the back blowing in the case. in a "tube" who direkts the air to the cpu. thats it. no cooling for hd's. Ands since ive upgraded to an xtra 250 Gb. it generated alot of heat.
So to make it work. i had to remove the side panel. Remove the tube. then having a tabel fan next to the case bloving air in.
then i had to put the new hd out of the hd holders.and stand it up right in front of this tabel fan.

Temperture is now good. but it looks like "Reodor felgen" built the pc.

tought about it.
But the case i bought looked to good to put HP parts in.
So i started to build a new one in stead.

Gona mod this hp a bit. and use it just for my hub.

This is the reason why my custom PC building side business has been so successful. People don't wanna spend a lot of money on a machine that isn't futureproof. Plus they don't want to spend 2 hours on the phone with "India" trying to fix minor problems. I build for local people, and give tech-support for 2 years. I built them, i know the PC's like the back of my hand. People are very comfortable with that fact.

Also, just to clear something up about Dell, the only two parts that are proprietary are the cases and the motherboards. Other then that you can upgrade anything else you want. This limitation still sucks, but it's not as bad as, GATEWAY - HP - COMPAQ

Once I had an HP from a client who complained that it was just too slow. She had 512MB of PC3200. I ran CPUz and started laughing... The PC3200 had 3.4.4.8 timings. and the name was some company that i've never heard of.

These major brand computers use the worst crap parts they can get as cheap as possible, then they sell you the completed PC at a price equal to or MUCH higher than if you bought good parts and built it yourself.

Jeez... And here I thought that they only had proprietary power suplies. But they make their own RAM too... No wonder folks don't like buying canned computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom