Thats just TOO low, HP! [a rant]

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I was at work tonight and somebody brought in their brand new HP computer complaining about not being able to upgrade its memory. It came with 512MB of PC3200, and they bought an extra 512MB of PC3200 to upgrade it to a gig. Well, I open the case to see what was the matter, and i find out that HP has moved the notch of its own memory over one pin so that the customer is REQUIRED to use HP manufatured memory if they want to upgrade it. I have known Dell to do this for quite some time, but HP...c'mon now! This is yet another reason why you NEVER buy a company brand.

Still not as bad as COmpaq... put slow as crap memory onto the motherboard (integrated) and the no matter what you do, you cant get fast memory.

This is why you get Gateway... they've been good about this upgrading stuff lately I've heard.

Compaq is owned by HP now, so you get the same PC whether you get HP or Compaq. Just a different case, thats all. I haven't seen the inside of a Gateway lately. I know they used to be as bad as Dell about proprietary components, but I don't know how they are now.

The older compaqs...

I had an older gateway that had a proprietary hardware DVD decoder, and you COULDNT get the drivers. They just didnt exist.

Compaq did, and possibly still do, secure their CPUs in the socket with an adhesive so you cannot replace it. Moral of the story is, prebuilt companies love to adjust things slightly to make sure people replace parts with stuff supplied from them. Clever way to make more money.

that's why if you want to buy a pre-built pc, you buy from vendors like ibupower, cyberpower (or whatever it's called), or alienware. all of those take "normal" parts and just put them together for a slight premium (or large premium for alienware).

My uncles compaq computer was suppose to come with 3 ram slots but when we opened it, it only had 2. Even says 3 in the compaq system management.
I hate compaq!

*Off subject*
Hey Gaara are you sure thats what Gaara says in your quote under your avatar, I thought the spelling was different.

Ahh shit im going to a friends this weekend to take a look at his HP... i hope to god his dont have that notched shit.... And wouldn't you be able to get them into trouble for saying its the same thing but its really not and you have to get something "different"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom