TFT Dead Pixels. What are your views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Shamrock

Baseband Member
I'm, at some point, going to replace my CRT monitor for a TFT but i have a slight concern. Dead Pixels.

I've been reading up on manufactures guidelines on what they say is acceptable. I'm led to believe that technology is not advanced enough in this area yet to absolutely guarentee no dead pixels. Hence why manufactures have a policy on what they say is the minumum number accepted.

These seem to range from 1-2 upto 5.

Now a few companies are now offering to send you a new monitor with no dead pixels guarenteed. But for a price. This seems to be around £20.

Now because they connot guarentee that every TFT they have has no dead pixels they have to test them before they send you one. If you paid the £20 fee that is.
What happens to all the monitors that they find that DO have dead pixels?
I'm guessing that if i didn't pay the fee i would be getting one that was tested to have dead pixels. Obviously if they are less than what the manufacturer specifies as minumum accepted then what's to stop them sending me one?

So should i be adding £20 to any monitor i look at buying? Otherwise i'm taking a gamble yes?

Sorry about the long post:)

ive had me dell TFT 15" monitor for bout 3 years now, and no dead pixels so far *touch wood*
but me m8, who had a 17" TFT from dell, had a huge block of dead pixels in the top right, (get ur thumb and put it in the top right, that how many dead pixels there were...)
so he needs nu monitor

it is just luck of the draw really, but it is better to gte it checked first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom