Texture Compressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I don't really sure if it is a right section, but anyway.

It is an option in video preferences in many games, called "Texture Compression".
can anyone explain what does it exactly does, and what it's influence on game permormance and quality of picture, and also it's influence on resources usage?

Thanks.
-AndreiD

Basiclly it's to do with the quality of individual textures. I think you notice it more in some games than others... Here's a segment from HardOCP's Doom 3 guide that compares the various levels of in-game compression options:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDM=

Otherwise, I wouldn't like to say any more- I've always been looking for a precise and straightforward answer to this aswell...

smartech said:
hh, you right, sometimes it's better not to say nothing, than say things you don't know:)

lol Exactly :)

But on topic, in certain games you won't notice a difference either way, and yes it takes it's toll on your FPS. e.g you can enable uncompression in Half-Life 2, I don't know what textures are compressed in particular but I swear looking at it I can't tell any difference... maybe a fraction more detail in certain wood surfaces or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom