Testing hard drives - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie

I will keep you informed on my project, at least I am learning alot from messing around with it and reading things here. When the thing went down to begin with it was acting wierd so I tried the reset button and when it tried to come back up it said hard drive fail and the hard drive would just click. So I tried another hard drive from another computer that also did not work but had no idea why but it also must have died for the same reason. I got a good [I hope] HD in it now but the more I try to do the worse I make things. Now when I try to do anything with it the monitor clicks and seems to go into power down mode and the red light is on steady, it used to make a steady beep but dosen't make a sound now and the power button will not shut it down, I hope my messing around has not ruined the mother board I just put in. Tom

Old 11-14-2003, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

I got the CPU today and I also took the power supply to a cumputer place and they tested it for $5 and it was fine, I got talking to the guy and told him what I was up to and what I had done, He told me to take out the 2 dimm modules and try them one at a time so I did the first one it made the long beep and nothing else, the 2nd one I got a screen and it detected stuff and would not go any further, so I put that one in the old packard bell I got going and in there it came up but shortly after I had all kinds of wierd letters on the screen and it was froze and power button would not work so I am pretty sure its the DIMM, So I ordered 2 more of E-bay today {for a good price} I am pretty sure that will fix it. My question is will it matter which one goes where in the slots? They are pulls from a working machine. Tom

Old 11-14-2003, 10:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Won't matter so much as where you put them, as much as, if your mobo can handle that type and speed of dimm.
512mb pc3200/512mb pc3200
Old 11-14-2003, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

I looked in the book for the motherboard before I ordered them to make sure they were the right type and voltage and that stuff. I am learning so much lately, LOL, I even fixed a small problem with the next door neighbor's PC yesterday, saved them some $. Tom