Temporary Freezing with 6800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiral

Beta member
I have an XFX 6800gt and in most games, about every half hour to an hour the game would freeze for 4-5 seconds. The sound would loop and it would completely lock up and then come back. I just bought Brothers in Arms and Silent Hunter III, and in BIA, it never happens, but in SHIII, it happens more than it ever has; so much that it's unplayable.

When it happens, I look at the temperature in the Nvidia control panel and it's at about 86c, and my processor will be at 50-60c.

I had the 6800gt in a old dell computer and bought a new power supply with it (that particular Dell model was supposed to be able to use standard ATX PSUs) and the power supply popped, and could've damaged the 6800gt. After that I just bought parts and built a new computer with the 6800gt.

Since this only happens in some games, it could be a software or driver problem but it also could be that some games stress the 6800gt more.

Any ideas?

Specs:
AMD 64 3500+
1GB Corsair RAM
XFX GeForce 6800gt
MSI Nforce 3 ultra Mobo

i dunno, but you could try dling new drivers for it on nvidia's site

also, xfx is known to have problems

I have the newest drivers. I used Driver Cleaner too.

I know XFX sucks but I didn't know when I bought it :(

Go back and download the 66.93 drivers from nvidia.

You are unclear as to if you are using ONE 1GB stick of ram, or TWO 512mb sticks.

- If you are using two 512's, try them both one at a time, and if you are using a MB with 4 DIMM slots, you can put them in 2 other slots and acheieve dual channel. Do this and attemp to work it out.

- Also loosen your RAM timings.

This is weird. I tried each stick alone like you said, and the freezing didn't happen either time. Then I put them both back in like normal and it still didn't happen. The 6800gt's temp never went over 80 and my CPU was a lot lower than usual.

Also after closing the game the CPU temp went back down to normal idle temps whereas before it would stay in the 50s.

Thanks for the help, I don't know what I did but I hope it doesn't come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom