tape drive installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xutoa

Solid State Member
I've got a Seagate STD2401LW tape drive installed in my PC.
I can get the detailed information about the tape drive by pressing Ctrl+A entering my scsi adapter bios while booting my pc.
and the device(tape)appears as a cdrom in"My computer".
does this mean I've connected my tape drive to my scsi adapter correctly.and the tape is only scsi device in my computer.

the problem is that I can not acess this CDRom,
i am a baby in installing a tape drive or scsi device.
any help?

xutoa said:
I've got a Seagate STD2401LW tape drive installed in my PC.
I can get the detailed information about the tape drive by pressing Ctrl+A entering my scsi adapter bios while booting my pc.
and the device(tape)appears as a cdrom in"My computer".
does this mean I've connected my tape drive to my scsi adapter correctly.and the tape is only scsi device in my computer.

the problem is that I can not acess this CDRom,
i am a baby in installing a tape drive or scsi device.
any help?

Did you use terminators?

actually,i don't what a terminator is,the fact is that my scsi tape drive is the only device in my scsi bus,I use all the default settings and jumper settings of my tape.There are two connectors on my scsi cable,should my tape be connected with the end connector on my cable?

xutoa said:
actually,i don't what a terminator is,the fact is that my scsi tape drive is the only device in my scsi bus,I use all the default settings and jumper settings of my tape.There are two connectors on my scsi cable,should my tape be connected with the end connector on my cable?

A scsi terminator is a little connector, their should be one on the end of the scsi chain. This terminator terminates the signal so it doesnt bounce back and forth in the chain, which is bad if it does. Most controllors have a terminator built into it, see if you cant find anything out about your scsi card.

Is terminator a gadget built in my scsi adater cable?or if i can do that by changing jumpers on my tape drive?

oh,yes,i find a built in terminator at the end of cable.
i do connect with my tape drive using the end connector with the adjacent terminator

xutoa said:
Is terminator a gadget built in my scsi adater cable?or if i can do that by changing jumpers on my tape drive?

I dont think terminators are built into any drives, someone tell me if they are?? Generally speaking terminators are seperate devices that plug into the end of a chain, that way you can change the amount of devices on the chain, if it was a fixed device you would be limited.

See:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/scsi.htm

thanku so much for your help.anyway,my tape drive is a 5.25 inch internal type.there are two cable come with my scsi adapter,one is a two points one(peer--peer) similar to those IDe cable.one is more complicated that the manual said a terminator was built in.
,i use the later one,I just totally have no ideal on how a tape drive was like after being succefully installed.u know,it do appear in "my computer"and looks like a CDRom icon.and i check my hardware property,there's a strange information saying" scsi.....Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device.
but what's the matter is it's a tape drive not a cdrom

xutoa said:
thanku so much for your help.anyway,my tape drive is a 5.25 inch internal type.there are two cable come with my scsi adapter,one is a two points one(peer--peer) similar to those IDe cable.one is more complicated that the manual said a terminator was built in.
,i use the later one,I just totally have no ideal on how a tape drive was like after being succefully installed.u know,it do appear in "my computer"and looks like a CDRom icon.and i check my hardware property,there's a strange information saying" scsi.....Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device.
but what's the matter is it's a tape drive not a cdrom

Have you tried emailing the company, maybe they have special scsi drivers for the device...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom