Tape Backup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Tape Backup

Is there any way to backup your data on a tape without needing a special tape drive connected to the computer? I mean, is there any way to convert your data to WAV, then record it to a tape using a tape recorder, and then convert it back to data? I know this is a weird question, but I like old things - guess you know what I mean. Can you provide me with a link to a software which I can use to backup files this way? I know I won't be able to backup much, but I'm just curious about it.

Thank you very much.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

That's possible? Putting data on a tape? What are you on, crack?

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Yeah, but audio tapes are very limited in storage...

Were talking double digit meg numbers at the max
Old 05-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default Re: Tape Backup

Originally posted by adrian1024
Is there any way to backup your data on a tape without needing a special tape drive connected to the computer? I.
About 20+ years ago, I remember using normal audio tapes to load programs on to my primary school's MICRO BEE COMPUTER. That technology is DEAD!!!!!

If you want to back things up, then I suggest the following :-
* Back Up On Hard Drive
* Newest version of Veritas Back Up Exec that treats hard drives like they where back up tapes.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Originally posted by desiboi
That's possible? Putting data on a tape? What are you on, crack?
Yes, it is possible. I didn't even know you could until I took my Computer Hardware class in college. It isn't used very much anymore, mainly because tapes are so outdated, and it stores things in sequential access, meaning that to get to one spot on it, you have to go through everything else.

I'd go with a DVD, or if you have patience, you can wait until the High Density DVDs come out, which will hold 120 GB (30 GB per layer).
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 @ 2.3 GHz
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard
EVGA GeForce 6800 GT
2 GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) (2 x 1 GB sticks) (Dual Channel)
DVD player and seperate DVD RW drive
Floppy Drive
80 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
500 watt power supply
Sound Blaster Audigy
Logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 710T LCD monitor
Aspire X Navigator Case
Old 05-31-2005, 03:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

take a look at this: http://www.certance.com/ that's about tape backup right ? Goto http://www.certance.com/products/lto...lto3/CL1102-SS and scroll down: it says
Capacity and Interface:

Compressed Capacity up o 800 GB
Native Capacity 400 GB
Recording Format LTO-3
Interface Type Ultra 160 SCSI

Take a look at that site .. it's about tapes right ? I won't say this technology is outdated. I don't have such a tape drive for my computer, but guess I can use my soundcard for storing small files and a tape recorder right ? Is there any program that I can use to do this ?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Audio tapes dont hold much though, but you can hit up google for some programs.

Nobody in their right mind would make a program to do that though.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You're right I won't be able to store much with my tape recorder. I just wanted some retro experience for storing text files

Btw: are these http://www.storagetek.com/products/c..._page2001.html
tape drives ?

It says this one:
can store up to 32 MB/sec of uncompressed data. If this is a tape drive, then I'd say this is very useful and the tape technology is not "dead". Please tell me what you think. Does it worth buying such a device ?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I remember in the early 90's there was a device that would convert data to a VIDEO signal and record to VHS tapes. This was in the days of 100 Meg hard drives though.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

tape backup is still very very common in server situations, but they dont use your average ordinary audio tape either, and they are very expensive

it can still be done though, with a little tinkering, you'd need to use a modem to convert the data and a small control program if you wanted to use an audio tape drive

the software actually can be gotten from many linux distros,slackware comes with it, and the "tar" program is still in wide usage even today, just not inconjunction with the tape control program

looking at that storagetek site, wait till you see the prices, it will cost 4x what the PC does

Closed Thread