Taking Parts from Dell Computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Taking Parts from Dell Computer

Currently i have a Dell running at 2.4ghz 533fsb with 512ram. I plan on buying a new mobo + processor that will run at 3ghz 800fsb. I have been told that Dell customizes their mobos and cases so that only Dell mobos will fit in Dell cases. This means i also plan on buying a new case, so what i wanna know is if i can take the Heatsink/duct and power supply from my dell case and move it into my new one? Or does Dell customize the power supply and heatsink so that it only fits in a Dell case too?

If anyone knows about this, or has any suggestions .. post a reply or email me at TrevorWhite13@hotmail.com or find me on AIM at TrevorAWhite13. Thanks

Old 03-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

no, you cant use them, they are proprietary, sorry, just sell em on ebay, your processor should come with a heatsink and fan, and your case should have a PSU

Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Whitey,, you are correct in your information!

Dell does customize their MOBO for their cases,, I bought a machine with some RDR ram was more cost effective to replace the internal parts than to purchase more RDR and then when I went to do that ,, I was told and found out exactly what you ask,,

Dell customizes their MOBOS in their systems,,, Bastage!

So,, It was a new build for me,, new case,,came with PWS,,400w,, and New MOBO,, pulled the HD's and all the internal cards,, and now have an expensive husk of a Dell sitting in my basement,,

Glad I'm not alone,,

Crash Abbott

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Can i sell the Dell mobo?

Is it possible for me to sell the Dell 2.4 mobo? Like will it fit in another machine.. or just the Dell?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

depends. It will work in other cases as long as it has the right dimensions but chopping up a brand name comp ain't to smart
Old 03-12-2004, 05:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ive switched out cases on Dells and Gateways , but you need to no how to setup your front panel wires .Both Dell and Gateway have a peculiar way of routing there conections .I used the duct as well but i did have to mod it .Bottom line is they work in any case if you no how to do it hehe

Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans