System running slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I've owned this system since September, and it seems like its never really been running as fast as I expected it too. I don't know, maybe im just expecting to much. (System is listed below in sig). I installed Farcry the other day cause I wanted to start playing it again, and the game runs very slow. I have to use the "Optimal Settings" that the confiuration menu defines, to even get the game to look half decent. I mean in low settings the backrounds don't ever fully load, and I get black spots on the screen where it hasn't loaded. Also the game is extremely bright in the places where the sun shows. I have also noticed that my systems takes its time loading games, booting, and doing every day normal tasks like getting on the internet n such. So around November I bought a 10,000k Western Digital Raptor Drive to see if it would speed things up, if anything it seems like it slowed things down. Is my system already outdated for future games? Cause I almost feel like saving up my money and getting a better video card, some name brand ram, and a half decent socket 939 CPU. I don't know if that would improve anything, or if I am just expecting to much. Here is my score from 3DMark05, 3276. Any suggestions on a way to improve preformance? Or is it time to be looking in to faster hardware?

for a system like yours, I can say it is definately not your hardware

try installing the latest video drivers and installing DirectX 9.0c
also, what provgrams are running in the background

Do a Drive re-format and before you even hook it up to the net again pop in the security disk (mcafee, norton what ever) also i recommend not downloading music on to this comp cause it could be loading your comp with spy wear and other junk that drastically lowers your speed. Use a cheap ass 200 dollar comp witha big HD for downloading it and use it almost like a radio.

If that does not work im not sure what could be wrong with the comp, go and check all the internals but if a reformat and new HD dont work i have no idea.

probably spywares and stuff

go to www.microsoft.com and search "antispyware beta" and download it and run it, it's great stuff (i had thousands of spywares killed on a 2yr old comp)

Start--> Run--> type "msconfig"-->Enter--> Startup tab--> uncheck everything except for your antivirus, firewall, and any drivers or software that you absolutely need (broadband and such)--> Apply--> Restart.

You should really see a hge difference if you have never pared down your autostarts.

Be sure to download Microsoft's AntiSpyware as was suggested above, and use it. Adware and spyware can really drag down a computer's speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom