"system" process using all of my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

imhappy

Solid State Member
i have an emachine t1300 i bought in 2002. its got a celeron 1.3ghz. just recently, and perhaps remaining undetected for an unknown period of time since the system is now my secondary, it has been inexcusably sluggish (even more than normal!). a quick glance at the task manager's process listing shows a new situation: the system process is eating all available cpu, but the process is usually only 250k or so in size. no, im not looking at the "system idle," but the one just above it. i had recently reformatted it, and after a quick essential data backup i just did so again, putting a fresh install of windows and nothing else on. no sooner could i hit ctrl-alt-delete from the desktop than did i see my cpu cookin along at 100%, and the system process being the culprit. any clues? troubleshooting tips?

Well, how many processes do you have running when it says that the System is using up your proc ?

how many processes? no more than would be running from a fresh windows install on a clean hdd. all of them reading 0 cpu usage except for task manager, using roughly 2-4%, and system greedily appopriating the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom