system lost???? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default system lost????

I Have a Hewett Packard windows mel. computer. i turned it on today and it said system not found, try a system restore and it said disk not intializing, does this mean this computer is shot and i have lost everything???

Old 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

not really, it could be though. I experienced this problem with win ME several times, and it always turned out to be a corrupt installation. Try basic hardware checking: Check harddrive jumpers, ide cables, etc... you might just have to take your harddrive to another comp, and either check the boot sectors with a drive manager, or back up your data, and perform a system restore...

Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

What did you do with it last?

Were you surfing through the ickernet picking up nasties?

'Course, it is an HP...You may have to call them up and have them sent you a new rat for the wheel.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it is old but i thought it would be o.k. for learning . last night i was running my norton system works and it did say there was a filr missing but like i said i still have lots of learning to do the windows pic does come up for a minute or so and it does a lot of clicking as it's coming on. thanks for your input.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Sounds fishy. Drive could be failing. Run a scandisk and check for errors then scan for viruses. Not sure what you mean by "does a lot of clicking" but it sounds like a virus I heard about once.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i cant run anything because windows pops up then it goes to a black screen and says system not found, and the file that is missing is from scan disk I think I'm going to have to suck it up and loss my my family tree (2000+ names and data ) and start from scratch I wrote here to see if just maybe I had a chance of saving this file. No, I did not back it up on a disk I was getting ready to Lessoned learned! Thanks for Your Idea's this is a pretty nice place to come for help take care.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Do you have another computer available with a CD burner?

If so, you qualify for Knoppix! http://www.knoppix.net/

Basically, it's a Linux version that runs directly off the CD. Just put it in, reboot, and you'll end up in Knoppix. You can check your Windows directories and see if your information is still there (sounds like it was really important).

If your stuff is still there, and you have another CD drive or a floppy drive (depends on file size, of course) on your computer you can just copy the data there. If not, I would suggest taking your harddrive into a computer store and see if they can save your stuff.

At least Knoppix will be able to tell you if it's there or not.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Before you get too hasty like taking your drive out or reformatting, download a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ and, depending on the version, run chkdsk or scandisk. Run with /? first to find the option for automatic repair. Also, you could check with the manufacturer of your hard drive for a bootable diagnostic floppy. Maxtor has a good one that might work on your drive.

Knoppix is handy but you'd have to know something about Linux/Unix.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by gsbtech
Before you get too hasty like taking your drive out or reformatting, download a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ and, depending on the version, run chkdsk or scandisk. Run with /? first to find the option for automatic repair. Also, you could check with the manufacturer of your hard drive for a bootable diagnostic floppy. Maxtor has a good one that might work on your drive.

Knoppix is handy but you'd have to know something about Linux/Unix.
chkdsk /f

^^ automaticaly fix disk errors.
[ Just for reference really ]
Old 02-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

are you using winxp..? and what else does it say other than system not found.? ne file missing error..?

Closed Thread