system getting slightly hotter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
My system used to idle at about 36c all the time but lately it has been idling at about 42c for no reason. I just blew all the dust out of the computer which was already pretty clean inside but the idle temps are still higher for some reason. this isn't a big problem but its just weird. is there any reason the temp would do this?

Uhm. Fan wear would be my first guess. They might not be pushing the same amount of air they did when new. Have you tried oiling the bearings?

I'd also ask whether you live in the south hemisphere, because if you do, it's summer and that's the explanation right there :).

EDIT: I double-posted by accident. Ok, there's no post delete button. Can a moderator delete it, please? I apologize for the clumsiness.

Uhm. Fan wear would be my first guess. They might not be pushing the same amount of air they did when new. Have you tried oiling the bearing?

I'd also ask whether you live in the south hemisphere, because if you do, it's summer and that's the explanation right there :).

I built this system in july so its not old for too much wear. but the computer is left on all the time. how do you rotate the bearings?

edit: I live in canada but the heat is on now so its a little warmer

I bought some cheap fans and they don't put out much air. Would the oiling trick you mention possibly improve the airflow of cheap fans? And if so, what kind of oil would you use? I'm having similar issues with fan wear on my HP because they don't seem to put out much air anymore.

mikee: yeah, they shouldn't have that much wear by now. Try turning the heat down to see if that lowers your temps (just to see if that's the cause, not that you'll have to spend the winter with no heat :)).

Oiling the bearing is easy. Take out the fan. You'll see a circular sticker at the center of the fan (on one side). Carefully unstick it, and you'll see the bearing. Put a drop of any type of lubricating oil in it, and place back the sticker. It's also important to ensure there's no dust in the bearing. Dust is enemy #1.

CalcProgrammer1: probably not. This trick works when the fans are a bit old already. With use and time, the oil gets thicker, specially if the ambient is dusty, and thus the fan rotates a bit slower than it should. Oiling the bearing just restores the fan to its 100%, but not likely past that.

Oh yes, it's possible. Video cards generate a lot of heat, so if your case is not properly ventilated, this heat will remain inside and up your temperatures overall a bit. So if you recently installed that 8800GTS, that may be the cause.

I opened the case and it does seem well ventilated and the video card doesn't seem too hot, the only time it does make the computer hot is when I'm playing crysis or something then the temp shoots up to about 56 and takes a really long time to come back down to 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom