System Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogwork

In Runtime
I think this a hardware problem. For the past 2 years I've been having problems with the system clock - it keeps losing time and every now and again sets itself to pacific local time. It's not a major problem, just that one program I has a rediculously paranoid copy protection that takes note of the system time and won't boot if it's changed.

I don't think it's the battery - the PC is only 4 years old.

i have the same problem; i change it, then after every reboot, it goes back to being 4 minutes faster than the actual time. sorry i couldn't help you, but i do share your pain.....NOW HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHEN THE GOLDEN GIRLS ARE ON?!!! *weeps in corner*

there is a simple solutio to ur problem, u need a battery replacement for your motherboard. it is a button cell battery and is very inexpensive. open ur computer and look for the battery, pull it out and take the battery to your local computer store and ask someone for a replacement

I think that the CMOS battery is supposed to be replaced around every 5 years. It's probably time.

That is if its losing time in the bios. If its losing time in windows, check bios to see if the time is correct. 3rd party programs that can be installed without your knowledge can cause this (atomic clocks for the computer).

It will most prob be the batt, Ive been told by about 4 diffrent Qualified Computer IT's that the BIOS batt is rated at 3-4 years these days. Even though I have an old 133 still only on its second batt.

because if the bios battery is losing out then you will start getting problems with bios config changed and u would need to go back into it and have hard drives etc re-detected on some boards. anyway, if the bios is correct in its time, then windows is not updating either due to win errors, or a 3rd party program changing time via internet connections, etc. it just all depends on checking the bios time.

I'm not having any problems with the BIOS config - my harddisks are listed, and my onboard graphics and sound chips are still deactivated (touch wood). The BIOS clock though is losing time and displays the same time as windows - I don't have any of internet clocks installed. Everynow and again Windows shows the local time to be PST, which is where I assume the BIOS was made (Silicon Valley?)

I think I'll buy a new mobo and case from ebay, I've found some good deals on there.

Shame PCs don't have the lastability of my SNES carts. Some are over 10 years old and are still working perfectly, but, for some reasons Donkey Kong COuntry doesn't like using the third save slot <shrug>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom