Switching PSU fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftEyeBlind

In Runtime
Going to change the fan in my PSU, as its going out.. I've been reading some guides and it seems pretty simple, I have a spare antec fan thats the same size, just cut off the 4-pin molex, shave the wires, do the same for the old PSU fan (which has a different power plug)..and twist together? I have nothing to cover the wires with, Is there any household product I could use?

If you're going to do it this way, instead of a new PSU, I'd suggest doing it right. Splice the plug onto the new fan. Strip the wires, solder them together, and use heatshrink on them. Put the heatshrink on before you solder though, otherwise you won't be able to get it on ;).

I pretty much half assed it. (In a risk taker way, Not a cheap way.. get off my back). the old wire had some rubber over it so I just cut that and melted it over the wires.. Works.. Exept no matter what I do and no matter where I hide the wire it always managers to hit the fan.. I almost have it fixed.. If I tip toe around the computer I dont hear anything, normal steps for some reason makes something hit the fan. Youd think that would be an easy problem to fix, it SOUNDS easy... I was up untill 11PM trying to fix it, and I had to get up at 3AM. Roar.

Cheap way:
Take the wires from the fan, strip them, twist together. Take the wires from the plug, strip them, twist together. Twist the reds together and blacks together. Tape it up with something, preferably electrical tape, but since we're being cheap, Scotch tape or duct tape (or masking tape or whatever) work fine too.

Good way:
Take the plug and fan, strip the wires, twist reds together, twist blacks together, put flux on them, solder them together, use heatshrink or electrical tape.

I used the good way to replace a PSU fan I had, but I have a soldering iron, if you don't have one and plan on fixing stuff, I'd suggest getting one (they're really cheap).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom