Switching from Nvidia to ATI! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 141
Send a message via AIM to Mission
Default Switching from Nvidia to ATI!

K hi hihihiiiii im buying an ATI radeon 9800 pro and right now i have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 installed. if i install the ati...will it work? if i dontload/install the drivers and such? or do i have to uninstall the nvidia ones first so my computer doesnt go crrrazzziee? i herd that you should reformat before you install a new video card, but i just reformatted and got everything back to normal so i dont want to!
__________________

Mission is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
ATIRAGEPRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,400
Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Cool "ATInfo..."

Quote:
Originally posted by Mission
K hi hihihiiiii im buying an ATI radeon 9800 pro and right now i have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 installed. if i install the ati...will it work? if i dontload/install the drivers and such? or do i have to uninstall the nvidia ones first so my computer doesnt go crrrazzziee? i herd that you should reformat before you install a new video card, but i just reformatted and got everything back to normal so i dont want to!
That's true. Video cards have better performance after a reformat.... :beard:
__________________

__________________


Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
ATIRAGEPRO is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 393
Default

lol if you can spend a lil more money i wud suggest u go with the nvidia 6800GT.. it kils the 9800 series.. but the 9800 series are unbeaten in its class but stilll the 6800GT easily triples its performance.. the best video card out to date
__________________
\"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.\"
-Aristotle
_SiLv3R_ is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
ATIRAGEPRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,400
Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Cool "Power Packer..."

.......................:nerd: That's true too, but the 9800 is still pretty good, and it still costs less than the GT. Don't spend any more money than you have to.
__________________


Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
ATIRAGEPRO is offline  
Old 09-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 141
Send a message via AIM to Mission
Default

the 6800 is to much..and besides...my crappy dell would explode over its power.
Mission is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by _SiLv3R_
the 9800 series are unbeaten in its class but stilll the 6800GT easily triples its performance.. the best video card out to date
I wouldn't say that it triples its performance, its just the gt... not even the Ultra. Don't get too carried away
__________________
<img src = \"http://filebox.vt.edu/users/chuck527/My%20Work/Sig.jpg\">
ThirtySixBelow is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 506
Default

There are issues when going from NVIDIA to ATI. The add/remove program does not remove all DLL files from your old drivers and they cause clashes between the 2 cards. However, there are many video card driver removal programs out there (such as detonator destroyer) which do a complete nvidia uninstall simply do a google search.
Once they are safely removed, shut down your computer, install your new card and reboot. Install the latest ati drivers (4.9 are out) or the omega drivers (which are great by the way) and you should have no problems.
__________________
My gaming machine:

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
zerozero is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,280
Send a message via AIM to beedubaya
Default

Agex000 will be proud of you!...lol. The 9800 Pro is an excelent card. My friend has it and he cuts through any game he throws at it at maxed out graphics.
beedubaya is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 141
Send a message via AIM to Mission
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by zerozero
There are issues when going from NVIDIA to ATI. The add/remove program does not remove all DLL files from your old drivers and they cause clashes between the 2 cards. However, there are many video card driver removal programs out there (such as detonator destroyer) which do a complete nvidia.
thanks, but which one do i get?! there are so many of these things!
Mission is offline  
Old 09-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 506
Default

I couldn't tell you which one to use. Last time I used detonator destroyer and had no problems..... Maybe some other poeple have more recent experience though
__________________

__________________
My gaming machine:

P4 2.8 GHz
2 X 512 MHz PC3200 in dual DDR mode
Intel D865PERL MOBO
integrated 6.1 MAX audio
Logitech duo MX mouse and KB
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO
zerozero is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.