Switching from Apple products

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejrogers

Beta member
Hello, I'm working on a research project, which revolves around people making the switch from Apple products (be it Macs, iPods, iPhones or whatever) to any other non Mac brands. So, if you have made the switch, please tell me why.

Thanks

stevejrogers checked with me and got permission for this thread. Please keep it civil.

Re: my fall to the darkside.

Most of my childhood and teenage years, I was a mac user. Infact, I would of consider myself a Mac Nazi back then. Like Dos was mystery to me. And I was not amused with Windows 3.x

After completing high school, I landed my job in desktop publishing. I was using a PC at this job. Back then, it was a Pentium 100, 8Mb Ram, 700Mb Hard Drive, Windows 95.

That job only lasted 6 months and in the process of me getting terminated, the PC got liberated from the office.
Not long after, i was told to do some more Desktop Publishing work. At the time, my dad's Mac where rather showing their age. Both my father and I where doing some more desktop publishing and the Mac IIci was very slow on loading a image on Adabe Pagemaker. It was load an image, grab a coffee and maybe the image might be finished loading. So after a lot of frustration, my dad purchased this Macintosh Power PC under the impression that it will be faster and the Mac IIci. It was only marginally faster for than the Mac IIci. This Power PC was not brand new at the time and after speaking to my father recently about it, he did comment that he did get badly ripped off.

So i started doing the page lay outs on the PC that i liberated from the office. I was much faster as it was a newer computer. And i was able to get the page layouts down in no time. Meanwhile in the back ground my father was waving the "This should of been done on a Mac"

Later on, I had an argument with my father in regard to the printer ink. It was a little unfair as I was paying for the ink tanks on his Mac Printer. So figured "Stuff this, I am just going to move my work exclusively over the the PC"
This is where I did discover that I could do more on a PC. This was about 1996/7. Firstly there was games. I did remember picking up some rather old games that I wanted to play in high school, but could not because I had a Mac.

Secondly, it discoved the customisability of a the hardware. I poured in a lot of money in various upgrades for that Pentium 100. Not to mension that I did not have to pay the Mac Compatible Premium prices on peripherals. Eg. Printers, Scanners, Etc.

Finally, i enrolled into a collage course for PC and Network support where all of our work was carried out on PCs. And with that found that PC extremely useful for my further studies and persuing interests in computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom