Switch Board Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadModderModa

Solid State Member
I recently got ahold of a BayStack 301 Ethernet switch and I can't figure out how to connect my DSL modem to it and then get it to blast the signal out to my other computers. I tryed connecting the modem to it but I got no connection, the link lights where not lit. but it i put on a cable attatched to a computer it lights up the port. I dont have any software for this switch cuz I don't know if you need any. If anyone can help me with this it would be sweet. thanx. The only port that dosn't light up at all is port 1, is that a config prob or is port 1 just broke?

That dosn't really help dude, I know all that im a network tech, but im not shure how or why the DSL modem isnt making a connection between the modem and switch. Others tell me that it should work, but I cant get it to for some reason.

You need a router as well mr. network tech.

This is coming from me, mr. network n00bpie

Negative dude, you don't need a router for this setup. Cuz the whole point of setting up a switch is to eliminate routers, the setup should go as follows. From server, (DSL sever) on port 23 100 or 24 100, which should then blast the signal to all other ports and enabling you to connect other computers.

O and lay off the Counter Strike dude... I know its a fun game but when you start quoting Valve news it makes you look stupid....

Don't talk that way about my sig, i found it funny, it gets my sig. I can have anything I want their if it's non offensive and the right size.

If your connecting DSL to a switch, how are you going to have a NAT to assign IP's?

And by DSL server you mean your DSL modem lol?

If you want multiple IP adresses, use a crossover cable, since a normal cable will not work. Since your a network tech I assume you know how to make one.

EDIT: If you want everyone to be connected, you need to get your ISP to give you 23 IP's

Yeah That was one of the first things I thought of when it wouldn't work, hmmm maybe a crossover cable would fix it... I will make one when I have the time, but I just wanted others input to make sure there wasn't something else wrong with the switch.

Since your a network tech as well I have a few questions unrelated to this thread.

I am thinking more about learning about this kind of stuff, do you think the cisco certifacation is worth it? I even have 2 cisco routers :p

router is needed network noob.

or

From the Link

"A home network with only hubs and switches must designate one computer as the gateway to the Internet, and that device must possess two network adapters for sharing, one for the home LAN and one for the Internet WAN. With a router, all home computers connect to the router equally, and it performs the equivalent gateway functions. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom