swapping motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

funknuts

Baseband Member
i have a computer and the power supply went while using it taking the mobo and processor with it. i took another motherboard and processor that i had and put it in the computer that blew out. I know those worked fine i tested them before i put it in. so i put everything in i started it up and it ran through its sytem check everything displayed normally. i got an error that it couldnt detect the hard drive. NO PROBLEM probably a a cable loose or seomthing so i secure the cables, turn it on same thing cnat detect the hard drive. unplug the hard drive cables plug them back and now nothing comes up on teh screen. now the computer that blew had a 8x AGP video card in it. the new board has a 4x agp slot i have had that in the whole time. i switch to aagp4x video card and put that in and i got the same thing.

all the fans turn on and spin, processor fan, case fan, and the fan on the agp8x video card spins. i unplugged everything from the board exccept video card, RAM and CPU and still get the same thing. also took out RAM and video card and put back in same thing. any ideas?

thing is when you swap a mobo with a hd thats been formatted on another mobo you will not normally be able to use it or get it to boot up properly cuz its trying to boot with all the old mobos specs and it don't like that. you will unfortunetly need to reformat or reinstall the OS for it to work.

ok that takes care of that part thanks. but if you use a 8xagp video card and put it into a 4xagp slot does taht ruin anything? also anyone have an idea why nothing is coming up on my screen anymore? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom