swapfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikFiend

Baseband Member
ok quick and easy question,i have xp pro....i installed fresh on a new harddrive and slaved the old one,i have a seperate 1 gig partition on each drive for swap file,when i made the partition for the swap file on both drives i put it at the end of the drive,my question is would i see better performance if i had put the partition at the beginning of the drives?also one more thing,my cluster size is at 4kb (ntfs) would it be wise to make it larger?if so would it be best to change it to the max 64kb or what....im interested in your opinions on this,thank you very much.
regards,
nik

paging files are so much slower then ram that i doubt u would see any performance difference no matter were thy are located.

but what would probably help the most.. is if u did this... move the 'slave' HD over to the other EIDE cable, so its in the 'Secondary Master' position... then disable pagingfiles on the 'Primary Master' HD. and just use the secondary for paging. then u can also delete the 2nd partition on the primary and have more space.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
for the avage user, the default 4kb cluster size is fine(I imajine, unless someone points out a reason y) ,theoreticaly the best performance would be to have a cluster size, thats the same size as the avage file size on the disk. but im not shur if it actually makes a difference anymore, HDs are so big nowadays that thy can always be defragmented... raising the cluster size is used just to limit posible fragmentation.. but raising the cluster size scrificess disk space... .example- [not actual math,just numbers]-> a 200gb disk, with 4kb cluster, equals 185gb's after formatting... a 200gb disk, with 64kb clusters, equals 175gb's after formatting.
----------------------------------------------------
see wat i mean... so if someone points out otherwise, i think its more eficent to just stick with the default cluster size.

thanx...and my hard drive is on the other ide slaved to cdrom i should have mentioned that,but i always heard its good to have the pagefile stripped across 2 drives...if the page file on my primary drive is pointless then i spose i'll rid of it

i always heard its good to have the pagefile stripped across 2 drives
im not shur about that... if it was stripped across 2 HD's that were ina raid 0 array, that would work realy well.. but i dont think it works like that if the HD's arnt in a array. didnt think of it like that b4 though... maybe someone else can enlighten us?

same here, i picked up stuff though along the way;)

if your mother bourd supports RAID, or if it doesnt, thy make HD controler raid pci cards. a raid controler+2 HD's of equal size= a raid array. once u have an array u can put the HD's in a dynamic stripe format.. witch turns the 2 disks into one unit, and access them at the same time, doubling there speed... kinda like Duel chanell ram.

setting it to dynamic is basically allows you to extend a drive, also. So imagine it like this, when set to dynamic (BOTH drives). One drive is 20 Gig the other is 80 Gig. Now lets pretend you want 3 drives, a 30 Gig primary, and 2 35 Gig. Well, when set to Dynamic, you can do it like this: Drive 1 = 20 gig drive 2 = 80 Gig

Drive 1 + 10 Gig from drive 2 = C (primary drive)
drive 2 = 35 gig D and 35 gig for E

Or say you install a new 20 Gig drive. you have 5 gig left on the old drive. You can mount the new drive, and then in dynamic mode spread the volume on both drives. So you're new drive would be the remaining 5 gig on the first drive and the 20 gig new drive. This isn't the same as raid, to let you know. Its just some other options.

put the page file on the non system harddrive for the best performance this way the OS can work while the page file is on the other IDE channel according to microsoft the ideal situation is a page file spread accross 2 or more hard drives not including the system drive but sense you only have one extra HDD just use that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom