Surge Protector or APS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasphil

Solid State Member
I am about to buy a new Desktop and some other hardware, and would like to get some good protection for surges. I cannot decide whether to get a reglar surge protector or an APS. I want to get something really good - can anyone recommend a product?

FYI Here is what will be connected:

Desktop PC - PSU 450v/2 Hard Drives/DVD

2 x 21" monitors

Printer / Router

Power supply for Powerbook

Klipsh speaker system

I am considering getting this:
http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR800&fnl=4605,2&fnl_basket=4605,3c

(It is what the configurator at the APC site came up with once I entered my equipment) - or would that be going overboard?

I appreciate any advice

:)

Well the question I would ask myself is this: "what kind of risk of power shock/failure in?"

That APC looks expensive.

I use regular Belkin Surge Protectors for my equipment. They only cost around $25 for the really good ones and they come with a Lifetime $10,000(attached component) Guarantee.

But the choice is yours.

Well another advantage to an APS is it is really good at preventing even a minimal power surge which can ultimately damage your equipment. For example, certain times of the day people use more power so the power company has to turn the power up. When this happens, a small surge of power is sent through the line for an instant. An APS can switch to battery mode for a brief second to hinder this type of surge. Thats why i would recommend them. Not to mention the fact that a sudden power outage will no longer destroy your computer.

The APS Is great, however it will not handle everything. I would just put a PC and a monitor on the UPS, and get surge protectors for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom