Super7 board question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhuhk

Solid State Member
First, I'm new. Hello, and thanks, to all.

That aside . . .

I have a friend of a friend who needs some help with an older system. I can't quite track all the details for the board, because he dropped in and out with the machine about as long as it took for me to do the video card.

It is a Super 7 board currently running a K6-200. The only print on the board calls it a PowerTX. It is running an AMI BIOS.

What I can find for info on Yahoo, Google, etc. is litte.

The voltages are certainly right for running a K6-2 on this system.

That i need are:

1. Any listing of CPUs tested to work on the system.
2. Bus settings
3. Any links to the mfr.

AMI does not list boards far enough back to ID this one from their site.

So, any thoughts? Obviously, the easiest solution is "buy a new computer". But, that's the hardest thing to get across to people.

I know I can get at least a K6-2 300 to run in it. Hopefully more.

Unfortunately, getting your hands on one of those processors for a reasonable price is almost impossible. Try and explain the facts to your friends..friend...:) The money he is going to spend will not be worth it unless you can get that chip for $10 including shipping.

The chip is not supported anymore (its an AMD chip by the way) the board is not supported anymore, the memory on the board is hard to find... can't get any clearer than that.

If a device is not supported, you don't want to invest anymore money into it. If the friend is having trouble with the PC and it has poor performance, you can kindly suggest an upgrade. You can get a barebone kit from Tiger Direct or Krex for a very reasonable price and just use whatever components you can from his old box.

These are just suggestions but again, to be honest you won't find too much out there on unsupported, outdated hardware.

The only uniquely identifying mark on the board was a print saying PowerTX where companies like Asus put their model name (like SP-97, whatnot).

There was nothing else uniquely identifying on the board. It has 4 slots for 72-pin RAM, and 2 slots for 168-pin SDRAM. It was all PCI. No ISA, no AGP.

In other words, it looks like every other Super 7 board ever made.

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/pcchips/m572p.jpg

This one here seems to be the closest I could find.

I know . . . I'm gonna just have to get the thing from him and check the BIOS string.

I was really hopeful someone might be able to tell me something, since he wants to know what we're getting into before he commits to anything.

Thanks.

trash it and buy a Mac!!!
nar if you really want to upgrade that thing.....
try and find specifications of all the same model boards (PowerTX) you can, and sorta find generally what their max is.

Actually, I own several Macs.

Never had any fewer problems with them, save for the fact they run less software.

Basically, getting a general sense is what I have done. But, the BIOS string is a better route.

That's where my money is.

If I have to hedge bets, I'll go with a 300/66 processor.

Thanks, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom