Sun Fire v440 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsKarma

Beta member
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. My work was trowing away old servers and computers and monitors today so I picked up some stuff. I got a dell computer, 2 dell monitors, some dvi cables and a few others. Among the junk I found an old Sun Microsystems Fire V440 Server. It seems mostly gutted, I'm sure because of security purposes, but I'm hoping I can salvage this thing and make a little server at my home.

I used to be a computer tech, but I have never dealt with servers, strictly PC's. So I am totally stupid when it comes to the guts of a server. Its got 4 slots for HD's which I know I can pretty much throw in there. It has 2 power supplys, a fan, network card, video card, and I'm not looking at it right now, but I believe there is 1 more pci component, and it has 4 usb ports, and some other connections that I think are less important. I noticed there was 4 slots that almost look like large ddr ram slots located in the top right quarter of the server. (if looking from top down) any idea of what these are? And can the server function without them?

Basically I am looking to setup a network drive on my home network simply for storage so that I can store all my data on the server and can access the data between all my computers. I have 3 desktops and 3 laptops, so trying to remember what computer has what information on it gets a little confusing. So I want to know what components I need to make this work, besides the HD. And maybe a link to a guide of how I can get this thing setup and running. (a basic guide... for dummies)

I am currently working on a video game as a side project, and once I get the game to a semi-playable state, I would like to setup a dedicated server on my home server. Not to run the game off of, but just to do some testing and to invite some friends for a nice private game. I would not use this as a public server.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if its not direct help, I'll take any suggestions... and if it comes down to its not worth trying to hook this thing up. How much do you think I could get if I put this thing up on craigslist? Haha

Thanks in advance!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom