Sun Blade 1000/2000 for Home use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejungle

Beta member
So I'm using a desktop that's about a decade old. Some sort of Dell with a Pentium 4 in it...it's slow as heck.

And I just remembered that we have a couple of Sun Blades at home, which may be almost as old, but obviously, have much better specs than this p.o.s. So should I try setting one up (the 1000 or 2000?) to see how well it runs? What OS should I use? I've been thinking about trying unbuntu, but I don't even know what the computer comes with. Oracle? And are there any advantages/disadvantages I should consider?

I don't use the computer for much other than the web, but I'd really like to be able to run some music programs (ableton, pro tools, etc.).

thanks a lot.

It is a Blade Server. So you will need a Rack to mount it to be able to use it.

The sad part is your Dell has more power than this thing. Look at the specs. They can only use a 900MHz CPU. That is slower than any Pentium 4 on the market ever. That is Pentium 1 range speeds. Even if there was 2 of them in there your still slower than any P4 out there. Your still talking P3 speeds of 1.8GHz. Yeah it maybe able to use a great amount of RAM at 8GB. But your bottle necked at the CPU.

Sorry to inform you but this p.o.s. system that you think is so bad is actually far better than these servers. They will not perform better for you when they have a slower CPU clock speed even when combining 2 of them than your P4.

Oracle only bought sun recently and they have no OS of their own (although they inherit Solaris from the acquisition of Sun). That workstation is older than the dell but may be faster, I'm not sure how many on this forum are familiar with the SPARC architecture, I'm not.

You won't be able to run windows on it but there may be a few other options such as solaris and a few linux and bsd distros.

You will not find it fun to use them for anything serious, as for the OS, Open Solaris and FreeBSD. Solaris is from Sun and FreeBSD has the best open source spark support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom