Stupid printer won't work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
My parents have an old crappy Dell and one of those crappy bundled printers. I believe the brand is Lexmark, or something close. Anyway, the computer won't print, and the light on top won't stop blinking. There is plenty of paper in the printer, the ink cartridges are full, and all cables are connected and everything. I even tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing the drivers, yet nothing seems to help. Also, when I try to plug the printer into its USB port, Windows does not auto-detect it like usual. I don't know what's going on, does anyone have any clues as to what to do?

i have a lexmark, not shur how old. but some of there drivers arnt certified by microsoft, if you dont install stuff in the proper order, that may screw it up. also check lexmarks web site not only for install instructions, but for any patches/fixess. i needed to install one of there patches to fix a diff prob i was having.

I assume you've unplugged the power for a few minutes? Some printers occasionally need a hard reboot to clear out the garbage.

Yea, the drivers for my 9800Pro weren't "digitally signed" by microsoft. Screwed the whole comp up. But I fixed it eventually.

If the drivers don't fix the problem, the problem could be with the USB connection. I would try connecting the printer via a serial cable and skip the USB. I have had many problems with USB printers due to programs looking for the printer on a Serial Port.

try a test from the printer itself. depends on the model (may need to goggle it). Some printers, you disconnect from the computer, hold down paper feed, turn on printer... keeps both buttons held down until they flash and release. it prints a test page (this is only on a few that I know of, since each may have different ways to do this, look it up). You should be able to find out how to print a test outside of windows via using the printers internal audit/memory. That way you'll know if its the printer or if its the driver. Course, you could always go into dos via boot disk and print there (serial).

Is it the power light or the paper tray light that is flashing?
How many times does it flash in between pauses?
Exactly what model of lexmark is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom