Stupid n00b question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Shift

In Runtime
Hey all.
I am currently stuck with a Duron 1.3 ghz and 256Mb of 266Mhz RAM.
i have a lousy mobo that won't let me play games for longer than 20 minutes without locking up.
I am going to buy a nice new mobo and an XP2600+, but i don't have the cash on-hand to buy any 333Mhz RAM.

okay, sob story aside...
I will buy the 333Mhz RAM later, but I need a working computer ASAP.
Will my computer run AT ALL with my old 266Mhz RAM and the 333FSB CPU?
Any definite response will be greatly appreciated, as this stupid mobo I have now is liable to BSOD me every hour on the hour...

Oh btw, if it makes any difference to your answers, the mobo i'm buying is a BioStar M7NCD Nforce2

i seriously doubt it unless your memory happens to be DDR double data rate. i assume it is pc100 or pc133 which will not even boot your new motherboard.

the good news is that 128MB of PC2700 memory is only $25-30 at www.newegg.com. that should be enough untill you can afford more memory. plan to upgrade than memory to at least total 256MB PC2700.

some memory don't work on all boards so make sure you read the user reviews on newegg.com about what memory has worked on that board.

about that motherboard you were going to buy, if you get the pro version and send in the rebate it will actually cost less than the standard version. have a look and click on "read reviews" to see what memory has worked with theses boards:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=M7NCD

yeah.. PC2100 should be fine..

Good luck with the biostar board though. I haven't had very many good experiences with biostar..

Alexander

as a suggestion, don't buy the XP2600+, it seems to run hotter than it should. go with XP2400 or better yet XP2500, if your board support 333mhz/ 400mhz frontside bus for the xp2500

Oo?
it does...?
i heard it was the OCing CPU of choice as far as AMD processors were concerned. i also heard it ran cooler than alot of it's predecessors.
Once i get the proper RAM for the system, i plan on, as MicroBell's sig so eloquently states, 'OC the sucker' >:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom