stuck up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfist

In Runtime
My bro's helping his friend to fix her com. I've upgraded the ram to a Kingston PC133 256mb SD RAM. Formatted her hdd and tried installing win xp pro from Win 98. Her hdd is 15Gb. When her hdd is formatted, the com naturally restarts to continue with the setup rite? Then it continues with the setup to load some more files n stuff. The prob is that it always hangs when its loading the files. We don't know what the cause is. We've tried installing the OS using my com but same thing happens. The thing is that the sound, video n all r integrated. So we used the minimum hardware by disabling it fom the bios but it still doesn't werk. Any ideas what could be the prob? His friend just uses the com to check mail n surf net n all, so she doesn't need anything else that's new. I'd really appreciate any help given. Thanks 4 yer replies.

I think the CD is most likely messed up

What happens when you use a bootable operating system like Knoppix though?

You are installing XP pro as an upgrade, Right? Personally, if you don't need to save any data on the 15 gig drive....I'd use a win 98 startup disc in the floppy and go to fdisk. Delete the existing dos partition, put in a new dos partition. Insert the xp pro upgrade cd and make sure that the cdrom is the first boot device in the cmos.(change it back to the hd after the installation files are copied by set-up). slow format using NTFS. Now.....you might want to run the XP hardware conflict utility to make sure that there is nothing in that puter that XP doesn't like! Sounds like a hardware compatibility issue. AND...why not just install 98SE? If she is only interested in a minimalized computer for home or school stuff, 98SE is a great OS. Why XP pro?

anyway we've already tried that too. it still doesn't werk with win 98. has to b hardware prob. i think the mobo is bust. anyway we're gonna change to a diff mobo. same thing except that this 1 uses a slot 1 CPU. so v gotta get a converter now. anyways, thank 4 the info. i'll keep you updated if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom