Strange Windows Blue Screen/Booting Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Strange Windows Blue Screen/Booting Problem

I've been getting windows blue screen errors today and whenever I turned of/turned on my computer to reboot from the my computer would freeze after the memory test. I tried to turn off/on the machine again, remove cables etc. but nothing would work. It would just start to work again after 4 or 5 time of trying. Everything is fine now but I'm concerned that I have a hardware problem and am just not to sure how to find out whats going on. Could anyone help me?

If anyone needs to know I have a dell dimension 8300(running windows xp service pack 2) and I didn't always get the same blue screen error when this problem occured. The one I got the most often was a "STOP: 0x000000F4" error which I couldn't find on the microsoft knowledge base.

Also I did not add any new software except a copy of norton anti-virus and a scanner to check whether my copy of windows was up to date when I was trying to connect to my school's network. I removed these the first time this error occured and it still happen after that.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Do you have multiple RAM sticks? Remove one.
Download memtest86 to check your RAM for errors.

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 09-15-2004, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

i had an exact problem like yours. only mine froze after the windows display screen. well, i was able 2 fix it by removing my vid card n cleaning it. i dunno abt yours, but it might just work. u should also do a cleanup on some other essential parts.

AMD 64 bit 3500+ Socket 939
MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat. Socket 939 mobo
Corsair TWINX1024-3200 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT Graphic Card
Altec Lansing 5051 Speaker system
Creative Sound Blaster live 7.1
Maxtor SATA 200Gb HDD
Plextor PX-712A DVD±R/RW Drive
Wired Mouse/Keyboard by Logitech
Samsung 795MB Flat Screen CRT
Raidmax Scorpio 868W Casing
Antec Truepower 430 or 480