Strange thing happened on first boot ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Hi all!
Finally got my machine, and built it this weekend... It's all up and running now, but I got a scary moment when I first booted it. I just wanna know if it could be "normal".

OK, all parts were in place. Here's the list. On first boot tryout, the PSU powered on, the fans started... But no image on screen (No signal), and no BIOS beep/POST message... Like there wasn't any CPU in! Hmmm, maybe it was my video card (much unlikely, but it was *that* or a defective CPU/MB :mad: ). Doublechecked all connections, looking for loose parts/wire. All was OK.

I even tried with a PCI video card. Same thing.

I was begining to feel kinda nervous! I reinserted my Radeon 7000, plugged the monitor. Tried to boot. Nothing. I just wriggled the Radeon a little bit, to make sure it was fully inserted, and *BEEP!*:eek: it booted normally!

I was kinda relieved!!!

Now, is it normal for a newly assembled computer not to boot on the first tries? Or was the video card not fully inserted?

Guess it was just the video card not seated properly ... otherwise ..it should boot on the first attempt it self ..

I don't know why it didn't beep if the video card was not inserted properly, the POST is supposed to report errors; the video card was half in so it should have known.

apokalipse said:
I don't know why it didn't beep if the video card was not inserted properly, the POST is supposed to report errors; the video card was half in so it should have known.

Yup, that's what I thought was strange. Maybe by fiddling with the video card I happenned to shake the mobo a little bit and that made a contact in the cpu socket... :rolleyes: Who knows... Anyways, it works fine now. :D

I thought that there were a couple of things that the POST wouldn't beep for, one being no CPU, and the other no video card. Otherwise, it would give a series of beeps if there was a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom