Strange predicament with Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv1yang

Solid State Member
All right, now THIS is messed up. I bought a Sapphire Radeon 9250 (with 256MB DDR integrated memory, PCI bus interface) for my system and it works fine (in fact, it's what's allowing me to be here and type this) but there's something...strange with it that's irritating me. On my mainboard there's a built-in 8MB AGP video card and then there's the Radeon. If I go into CMOS and set my video card as the main display adapter, it displays everything (and beautifully I might add) up until the Windows XP Welcome Screen before the whole screen just goes blank--you see nothing, you hear nothing. However, if I set the on-board video card as the main display adapter, my system boots up fine and everything's okay. At first I thought my video card was flawed but then after installing the drivers for it, I got it to work--on certain conditions. First, I have set it as the main display adapter in WINDOWS. Second, it still doesn't work if I set it as the main display adapter in CMOS so I still have to use the on-board AGP adapter (set in CMOS) UNTIL the Welcome Screen where I HAVE to manually remove the monitor from the on-board display adapter's port to the Radeon's port (because Windows recognizes the Radeon as the main display adapter). And I HAVE to do this EVERY time I reboot, I can't just leave it on the Radeon's port. Seriously, this is a great pain in the @$$ so if anyone has had experience with something of this nature, please please please HELP ME! Thanks for hearing me out.

OK. When you boot, go into your BIOS. Set your onboard graphics memory to zero, and if it has the option, disable it. Boot on into Windows.

Once into Windows, hopefully you'll be using the video feed through your card without hiccup. Go into Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager). Find your onboard video adapter, and disable it. Check your graphics card in Device Manager to make sure that it is recognized and that it is functioning properly.

Power down and reboot to see if the changes hold. If they don't, your CMOS battery may be dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom