Strange Hardware Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyG

Beta member
Hi guys, last week while i was running a 3d game the system gone into black screen and turned itself off. Eversince then, the computer became very unstable and slow.

Right after that incident, random device failure occurs each time the computer was turn on (for instance, the graphic card doesn't start or sometimes turned itself off during operation. sometimes the sound card didn't get detected, sometimes the cpu fan doesn't turn after the power was turned on, sometimes it was the harddrive etc) The failed device would work again when i reboot the computer but the symptom was passed on to another device. I have to keep on rebooting and even took the components apart and reinstall everything again until at one point it became stable enough to run tests in windows.

After a series of tests and crashes, I've observed the cpu have taken a huge toll on every operation, especially graphic related. For example if I dragged and wave the explorer window around rapidly will instantly cause a 100% cpu usage and the system to blackscreen and crash. But I was able to surf the net and even run Half Life normally for a long time before it crashes. The chain of device failures also reappeared after each crash, but less persistent.

Strangely, in the last few days the computer was much more stable. It doesn't crash anymore when I wave the window around. I can even run extensive 3d applications with some slowdowns. However the high cpu usage is still there. What do you guys think of this?

this is system spec:
p4 2.4G
intel D865PERL board
Gforce fx 5200 agp
256mb 266mhz ddr (X2)

Intermittent to say the least.
I would say something very soon will fail. I'd first suspect both the CPU (and fan) and motherboard.
Obviously if the fan dont cool the fan its gonna overheat.

Im guessing that at the time your screen went blank and PC shutdown your fan somehow failed and your CPU overheat (Possible that your BIOS is set to shutdown if the CPU reaches a certain temperature)
If this was the case you may wanna try replace the fan atleast but because of whats already happened, the CPUI may have been damaged already. If not the board.

Just guessing really and I spose I couldnt really tell without proper benchmarking tests

fx5200 have known to have many problems.
If I were you I would change the 3d Card.
fx5200 have many problems with dell monitors and some motherboards.

-Tom-

can the videocard processor cause those high cpu usage if its damaged? The videocard had brought to my attention because the heat fan on it was making loud noises during boot up this last couple of times. is it possible that fan failed in the beginning and triggered the other parts to overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom