Strange hard drive noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bliss000

Beta member
I have just bought an OEM WD 5400 40gb hard drive to replace my dads old drive (That one does not work any more). I hooked up the new drive, turned the computer on and the new HD started making this "click-click ... click-click ... click-click ..." sound. It then goes silent for a few seconds and then starts to repeate the same clicking sounds, the system states that there is a "media" error? The bios won't recognise the drive at all.

:amazed: :confused: :angry: :(

am I doing anything wrong, or is this a faulty drive? It makes the same noise in two other computers.

On the drive their are jumper settings. Check the schematic on top of the drive. If you have only 1 drive i think you completely remove the jumper on a wd. Thats most likely the error!

I'd definatelly say it's a bad drive.

HD's shouldn't click at all, maybe once on startup to get the platters spinning.

I'd return it and say it's a faulty drive.

ive had a hard drive die on me, it did exactly the same thing
it's definately a bad hard drive
if you can you should take it back, and get a Seagate drive instead as they are more reliable than WD's

some viruses will do the same, making the heads go out of range. you could get the first aid software and do a full scan (be prepared to wait for HOURS) to check for faulty drives. This is a VERY thorough scan. If it finds errors, but and fixes it u maybe able to recover it. make sure you write down the final diag code and look it up online. It will tell you what it means. If it doesn't say to return to manu, then try writing zero's to the drive with the same utility, data will be lost in this.

I get that noise with my 40GB 5400RPM harddrive (dont know the maker or anything ;))

I just restart my computer and it goes away, or I punch the dam thing LOL :) Either option works for me. And when it makes that noise, my CD drive will not open, and it 'appears' that my cd-rom 'disappears' from the computer until I restart lol :p

Hockey07 said:
I get that noise with my 40GB 5400RPM harddrive (dont know the maker or anything ;))

I just restart my computer and it goes away, or I punch the dam thing LOL :) Either option works for me. And when it makes that noise, my CD drive will not open, and it 'appears' that my cd-rom 'disappears' from the computer until I restart lol :p
I don't think that's your hard drive in your case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom