Strange Found New Hardware messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calhob

Beta member
I'm using a P4 2.4mhz machine I built myself in 2002. It has 512 MB RAM and 3 HDDs. The m/board is a Gigabyte 81EXP. It has worked perfectly until yesterday when I got two strange messages at startup. Both were Found New Hardware wizards, one saying the system had found a new RAID facility and the other a new Ethernet adaptor. Both are on the m/board. I was prompted to install the drivers for them.

When I inserted the CD that came with the board, the drivers appeared to install but then changed to an error message saying the installation was unsuccessful as the data was invalid.

If I just hit Cancel on both of these message boxes, the machine goes on to work perfectly.

This happens every time I boot up. It has me baffled. Can anyone give me some advice on what could have gone wrong and how to fix it?

Many thanks.

If you have automatic updates ON windows update could have found and downloaded the new drivers, and maybe there is a bug in the drivers it downloaded. I would goto the device manager and select each item you are getting error messages for and rollback to the previous driver.

I know i had a similar problem with my Rhine II ethernet adapter, windows would download the driver/install the driver and when i restarted would ask me to install new hardware again.

Drworm2005.

Worm is right, but if there are problems, might it not be sensible to disable both the ethernet and the RAID adapters... this way the wrong drivers wont matter so much. Ethernet should be ok, but RAID i'm not at all familiar with. Of course this is irrelevent if you are actually USING RAID and ethernet lool!

Many thanks, Worm and Harry.

No, I don't have auto update on, so that's not the answer, I'm afraid. I've tried to disable and to uninstall both adapters, which I'm not using, but they refuse to go!

Must admit I'm baffled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom