Storage backup for school project

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrulekid

Beta member
Hello,
In a lab I have at school, we were tasked to make different types of "computer based companies" and our group chose to make a fake online storage company. The only problem is, we are stuck.

Here's what we have so far...
-We are going to use some automatic backup software that we find for free for client end
-Not sure what OS or software to use serverside
-Going to have a server connected to the internet to handle traffic
=above server will have dual CPU mobo with lots of ram to handle all the requests
-A second server not connected to the internet, just lan for security to the first server
=above server will have lots of hard drives for storage space, dual CPU Mobo with lots of ram to handle encryption and retrieval of info

Can anyone give any more input on what else we could do or what we might be missing?

1. Quad core would be a better choice these days.
2. Windows Server 2008 is pretty good for an OS (relatively speaking...)
3. Get a raid storage unit. I use something like this at work: VTrak Mx10 Series
depending on how much storage you need you might get a few of them, use half for storage and half for backups.
4. You'll need a mail server
5. Firewall, probably something like a Cisco PIX would be good.

If this is a school project, and you are going to be a company that does backups, you are gonna need some serious storage space... Look into NAS solutions, big nass solutions, upto 40+ drives per NAS enclosure.....

Anyways, if its a small thing, look into having a proxy server to help restrict traffic on ports, a quad core processor is nice for each server, and you shouldn't need gobs of ram, when backup services, things that are required are HIGH speed, HIGH capacity hard drives, in RAID arrays, some form of Raid 5 is beneficial as it is fast, and is redundent.

Also, the faster your network, the better, gigabit all around, plus a really good connection to the internet.

The drives for your project should be 10k RPM, at the highest capacity possible.

OS for the equipment, I would personally go with Windows Server 2k8, if I knew some form of nix that could be used in a server enviroment, I would look into that over windows due to you having more control over everything. (atleast from my stand point)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom