Stop bringing me dinosaurs! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thumbs down Stop bringing me dinosaurs!

I'm not a true technician but I know my way around a pc.
I've told people that I build and fix them. But far too many times they bring me old computers. I'm talking computers from the mid 90's.
LOL, the other day this lady comes to me and asked if I can check her pc. Sure!
**** thing was a gateway from the early 90's. I laughed at her and told her I couldn't perform miracles. She wanted me to upgrade it and make it run like a pc of today. Of course, the lady was very pc illiterate so I don't blame her.

Here's another one: They buy a pc at a yard sale and pay something like $25-$100 and realize when they get home it doesn't work. Then they call me. 9-10 times they are old p.o.s. pc's.
When will people learn.

Ultra PS, Ultra Mid Tower Case
Lite-on internal DVD-R, Samsung Lite-Scribe Ext. DVD-R
2 Acer 19" widescreen LCD's. For HTPC Olevia 32" LCD
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Stop bringing me dinosaurs!

Well not everybody (especially people that are a little older) is as PC-literate as you =P. When they see a computer for $100 or less like you said, they assume its a good deal and buy it. Remember, they used to be expensive as ****. You just have to explain to them, rather then laughing at them (quite rude if you're running this as a business, IMO especially).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Talking Re: Stop bringing me dinosaurs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Well not everybody (especially people that are a little older) is as PC-literate as you =P. When they see a computer for $100 or less like you said, they assume its a good deal and buy it. Remember, they used to be expensive as ****. You just have to explain to them, rather then laughing at them (quite rude if you're running this as a business, IMO especially).
So you think I laugh at them all the time and never explain a thing? OK!

I'm not running a business. I do it to make an extra buck.

Sorry you took it personal!

Edit: I'm not sorry! I don't think they buy a computer at a yard sale and walk away thinking they got a "Deal". They probably can't afford a real pc and hope the yard sale pc works. For goodness sake, a pc at a yard sale? Deal?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2duo View Post
I'm not a true technician but I know my way around a pc.
I've told people that I build and fix them. But far too many times they bring me old computers. I'm talking computers from the mid 90's.
LOL, the other day this lady comes to me and asked if I can check her pc. Sure!
**** thing was a gateway from the early 90's. I laughed at her and told her I couldn't perform miracles. She wanted me to upgrade it and make it run like a pc of today. Of course, the lady was very pc illiterate so I don't blame her.

Here's another one: They buy a pc at a yard sale and pay something like $25-$100 and realize when they get home it doesn't work. Then they call me. 9-10 times they are old p.o.s. pc's.
When will people learn.
they never will.... but for my age i'm very PC literate... i got into a Senior AP computer science class, as a freshman (aka last year) lol and i still got the 109 with the ten points and most of the other ppl got C's hahaha losers
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
they never will.... but for my age i'm very PC literate... i got into a Senior AP computer science class, as a freshman (aka last year) lol and i still got the 109 with the ten points and most of the other ppl got C's hahaha losers
I'm impressed.
LOL, I remember I took a computer programming class in high school. We worked w/apple computers. I'm talking 1988....now that's funny! Oh and I honestly don't know how but I passed the class.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Anybody buying a yard sale PC gets what they pay for. When I sell old pc's I get maybe $25 for it if it works, if not I sell the parts. When you can go to Wal-Mart and get a new one for about $300 why buy a used one for $100? Save up and get something that works and has a warranty.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

hey, i grew up with dinosaurs

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I don't understand the problem with people buying old PC's... not EVERYONE wants OR needs a brand new PC. Perhaps it is used for development purposes, as a server, for parts, for email only, a simple work network running simple programs, etc. Yes, true, she may not but there are lots out there who have no need for higher tech. I actually complain opposite of you. We used to get people who would see the latest and greatest technology and feel their system was obsolete but when you found out what they used it for them getting a new system was the most retarded thing. Often, people don't realize that the newest systems out there are not needed for them at all, and for certain demographics would be a serious waste in money.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2duo View Post
I'm impressed.
LOL, I remember I took a computer programming class in high school. We worked w/apple computers. I'm talking 1988....now that's funny! Oh and I honestly don't know how but I passed the class.
lol thanks man i'm gonna miss that class........ the teacher was so freaking hot!!!

i'm running a dinosaur stupid piece of crap......................
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Talking Re: Stop bringing me dinosaurs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killians45 View Post
I don't understand the problem with people buying old PC's... not EVERYONE wants OR needs a brand new PC. Perhaps it is used for development purposes, as a server, for parts, for email only, a simple work network running simple programs, etc. Yes, true, she may not but there are lots out there who have no need for higher tech. I actually complain opposite of you. We used to get people who would see the latest and greatest technology and feel their system was obsolete but when you found out what they used it for them getting a new system was the most retarded thing. Often, people don't realize that the newest systems out there are not needed for them at all, and for certain demographics would be a serious waste in money.
I can understand 2000-2002 pc's. Those I can work with. But a gateway from 199--.
Seriously, I tell people exactly what you're talking about. That it's not necessary to spend $500 or more on a pc that will be used to surf, email, and listen to music. I advocate spending less than $400.
These people I've encounter spend $75 on a yard sale pc, with a 800mb hd, 8mb of memory or less, 2mb of graphics....for crying out loud! I'm not going to waste my time "upgrading" a dinosaur.
3 days ago some dude brings me a toshiba laptop...from 1996. LOL, I seriously laughed when he asked for a dvd burner installed. Darn thing had win95. Oh, he wanted vista too.

Closed Thread