stock Athlon XP fan = cpu at 60c? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokivn

Baseband Member
Speedfan is reading my 3 temp sensors at 29, 31 and 60c. I put in a stock fan today which had not quite paste on the bottom but some sort of slightly soft but rubbery substance.

I have arctic 3 somewhere, should i peel/scrape that stuff off or is my 2200+ doomed to run at 60c?

The thin rubbery substance on the bottom of the heatsink is called a thermal pad. It comes on retail heatsinks, and is used in place of thermal paste. However, if your temperatures are high, I would recommend using the Arctic Silver 3 you said you had lying around. To remove the thermal pad, scrape as much off as you can, and then remove what's left using rubbing alcohol. Also, be sure to use a lint-free cloth to dry with, for instance the cloths designed specifically to wipe eyeglasses. Once your surface is clean and dry, then CAREFULLY follow the instructions for applying the thermal paste. Be very sure to only use a dot no larger than a rice grain, because more is not always better. Good luck :)

OnlyCurious, at least TRY to be help full
anyways, i have had similar problems w/ stock HSF that come with CPUs. do what pizzthehut said and it should lower your temps. however, i am paranoid about tempuratures and always find the stock HSF sub-par to my standards, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade that all together

Do you really need it running that cool? My 2100+ generally runs at 70+, and it's been on basically 24/7 for over 2 years. If it does die on you, a new one (or Sempron equivalent) hardly costs the earth anyway (£26 for a Sempron 2200+, less than $50).

it runs at 56-57, tops out at 60 under gaming w/ arctic silver 3.

since i put in the new 2nd harddrive temps jumped from 48 to mid 50's anyway. the new fan is just quieter and lower RPM but the same temps.

thanks for the help guys. i'll feel better about leaving it on constantly after your story smauler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom